Don't buy GE Appliances unless you want to repair them every 4 years

2Sunflowers

I remodeled my kitchen in 2011 and bought all GE Profile Appliances. I spent about $5,000.00 in appliances. In 2007 4 years later the magnetron on the microwave went. I called GE and someone came to repair it for $267.70. He was finished in less than an hour and I had to help him. I just called GE for repair on the same GE microwave (4 years after the first repair). They told me the magnitron would be replaced for free but that the Service call would be $99.95 and $203.99 for labor no cost for parts since it is under warranty.

My doctor nor my car mechanic (who only charges $50.00 an hour for skilled labor) don't not make $300.00 an hour but I have to pay a repair person with no college or expert licensed training $300.00 an hour. Paying $99.99 for a service call and $203.99 for labor is unreasonable and needs to change. Consumers are being taken advantage of because GE and repair companies know we need to have working appliances. While it is outrageously expensive to repair an appliance it is cheaper than buying a new one, so we pay these outrageous costs as we don't have reasonable choices. I asked if I could buy the part and have my husband install the magnetron. I was told no because it could explode. So how do they ship it to repair shops if it can explode? My husband went on-line to buy the magnetron which costs $154.00 list price from GE. He is looking to get it for less and then he as a tool and die maker will install it.

I should not have been charged more than $200.00 service call, labor and parts to have the magnetron in my GE microwave replaced.

The GE Profile dishwasher that I bought in 2007, 6 years later the dishes are not being cleaned correctly. The dishes come out dirty even with expensive and correct dishwasher detergent. The GE refrigerator does not make ice properly. I press the lever for ice and it churns making a noise but takes a while before the ice comes down.

When I buy an expensive appliance I expect it to last 20 years not 4 years. I wanted to buy an American product that is one of the reasons I bought GE appliances. I am remodeling another kitchen but I won't be buying any more GE Products. I will be researching which appliances last the longest without being repaired and price regardless of who makes them.

I am going to write to consumer reports who I believe gave GE appliances a high rating which I do not believe they deserve.

If GE wants loyal customers then they need to produce a quality product that lasts 20 years or more without being repaired.

Sincerely,
2Sunflowers

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

JMO!

they need to produce a quality product that lasts 20 years or more without being repaired.
Won't happen any more....with any manufacture :(

Don't buy GE Appliances
We have a saying..."Friends don't let friends buy GE!" ;)

I asked if I could buy the part and have my husband install the magnetron. I was told no because it could explode.
No comment on the exploding part...but do be careful as microwaves can electrocute you, even unplugged!

caution.jpg

Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it. With the microwave unplugged.

This is a common way to do this....

nuker101.JPG

jeff.