Don't buy Kenmore-Poor warranty service

kellae

Premium Member
Just wanted you all to be aware that you shouldn't buy Kenmore. If you have a warranty problem, they will jack you around, schedule appointments and then give short notice that they will be 4 hours late. At this point, I have had 2 appointments to "diagnose" the sealed system on fridge. The called me at 9PM to tell me that they will have to reschedule for between 1-5. I have already had it diagnosed by a certified technician, but he isn't Kenmore certified so they won't fix it. I feel it is unreasonable to give such short notice after I have already taken the time off work. Now they want me to take another 5 hours off. Add the service call in there and I can afford a new fridge. They want to charge me $69 for a service call to diagnose. The warranty says they will fix the sealed system free of charge for 5 years if it proves defective . Well, it is defective and $69 isn't free. Even if I decide to replace this big piece of s**t that they sold me, they will still be fixing it even if I let it rust in the backyard. I will never buy another Kenmore product. I have owned many brands of appliances but only 2 Kenmore. Guess what. The only 2 I have had to have repaired are Kenmore. Thats says all I need to say.

Kellae

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If they find the compressor bad, then they shouldn't charge you any service call fee at all, If they try too call 1-800-4-MYHOME and ask for customer relations right then and there, they will make sure you are not charged $69.

Jake

DougB

Premium Member
My Kenmore Freezer lasted about 5 years then the sealed system crapped out... Tech checked it out and found the compressor OK... Just running hot because no freon or very little in the system... Was told trying to track down a leak would be costly and often difficult to repair... yup cost me about $45.00 to learn this... So yup... I bought a new Freezer... and Yup it's a Kenmore Elite... Probably really a Whirlpool. I'll have to agree only 5 years of service out of a product is poor quality in most cases but, things do happen and I try to keep an open mind..

Sears does often over-schedule their service techs... some jobs take longer then expected and there are not enough service techs to go around and actually many customers have no respect for the underpaid service techs with the short shirt tails... Who's to blame in this post? Kenmore products... or Service scheduling.... or warrantee issues?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats the main reason i quit Sears, was The Service Scheduling was a nightmare the last couple years i was with Sears, with what they called centralized routing for the whole west coast! Almost every customer i went to, was mad as hell for this reason. Very Aggravating!

Customers would get rescheduled left and right!

Jake

ACE

Appliance Tech
Cutting costs

The sealed system DOES cover the servicers labor entirely! Sounds like you are definately getting jacked around. Beware that when buying in the future Most maufacturers have reduced the sealed system warranty from 5 years to 1! I got a letter from (I won't say who), saying that reducing the warranty will benefit the consumer by making it easier to understand. HA, ....What a load of crap!

Ronw

Premium Member
Complaints West of the Miss

I don't mind the tech's - for the most part they're okay and are somewhat independent here in Bend, Oregon. We're a long way from the Big City of Portland, so we probably have more small-town quality.

But I agree whole-heartedly that their scheduling service is like their vacuum cleaner, if you get my point.

I just had them come in after over a month of scheduling screwup's. They were here a month and a half ago and even though I told them exactly what was broken (physically, so it did not need a diagnosis), the person came without the part and said that was Sears' policy.

When he went "Ah-HAH" and "discovered" the broken part, he had to order it and schedule another appointment. He was a great guy, and I'm not blaming him for any of this: He made an appointment for a Saturday two weeks later (I work and could only do this on Saturdays).

The parts came, and I got a Sears Robotic Voice mail saying for me to check all the parts and make sure they were correct. I did and the next thing on a Tuesday when I was out of state on a trip, I got a voice mail saying the Sears guy would be there Wednesday "between 8 and noon." I called the 800-home service number and they said they did not have any thing scheduled for that Saturday, but did for Wednesday. I had them reschedule, but, of course, Saturday was booked, so I had to rescedule for two Saturdays from then.

When I got home from my trip, there was a sticky note on my door saying the service guy was there on Wednesday. :confused: :confused:

The following Wednesday, I got the voice mail again. I called 1-800-goof-up again, and they again said they had nothing scheduled for Saturday but did for Wednesday. I asked how this could happen, and then the person said he did not have access to change or look at the schedule other than being able to reschedule a new one. :mad: So, we re-re-rescheduled for THIS Saturday.

You guessed it..... Last Wednesday I got a RoboSears call saying the service guy was going to be here "tomorrow" (yep - Wednesday). I called again, and told them either to have someone here this Saturday or I was going to bring my dryer in to the local store and call the enormous news paper we have here in Bend ;) so they could get some publicity.

The guy came.

I run a company that has a lot of customer service requirements and we get a lot of complaints - some founded and some unfounded. So I know how hard it is to do it perfectly, but the Sears scheduling issue seems to me to be a problem from the K-Sears-Mart Building in Chicago and is not related to the Mississippi.

Cheers,

Ron:3: