• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

door latch broken can't open door

twz

Premium Member
Hi,

I have a Kitchaid "whisper quiet ultima - superba" dishwasher, age and model number is unknown because I can't open the door. I closed it last night to do the wash and the door latch and or mechanism broke. Now I can't open the door.

Does anyone know who to open the dishwasher door if the latch is broken?

Thank you,
Tom

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Sometimes we have no choice except yank really hard and replace the broken pieces :(

Have heard of some tech having to break the consol to open the door.

dishwasher, age and model number is unknown because I can't open the door

Look like any of these....

jeff.

twz

Premium Member
It looks more like the white new model on the right.

It seems the latch has become disconnected from the latching mechanism. I've tried "mild" brute force but would like this thing to last a few more years with having to replace it or buy parts for more than it would cost to replace it.

I was hoping there was an alternative "secret" way releasing the latch.

Thanks for your help.
Tom

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
No secret way that I am aware of :(

If you can get the outer panal to come off you -might- be able to reach up inside the consol....power off first!

jeff.

AdamTN

Kitchen Aid dishwasher door won't open

I had the same trouble. The door latch broke on my Kitchen Aid dishwasher. I just got it open. First, the dishwasher is held to the underneath of the countertop by a bracket. If you look in between the countertop and the top of the dishwasher with a flashlight, you will see this bracket. On mine, the dishwasher is screwed in place with 2 screws. The problem is, how to loosen them? I used a long nose pliers and was able to squeeze the screws and painstakingly unscrew them. Once they start loosening it gets easier and easier. I pulled the screws out. They were not very long.

Now the dishwasher is free to be pulled out of the space. But when I pulled it, it got caught on something. It was the brackets. Looking in and using a flathead screw driver I simply held the brackets down so that they dishwasher could be pulled out slightly. Mine wouldn't slide far but I was able to tilt it. I would say you should NOT try to pull it far, since the water pipes and wires might be affected. Once I could see the top of the door, I could see a steel colored object, like a band of flat steel with an opening in it. It's right in the very center. This is the latch. It's very long and flat and you can't see either end of it. It's about 2 inches wide, 1/16th-1/8 steel with a slot in it. When the door is working properly, this latch is pushed up.

It's looks like a band of silvery metal. By using a screw driver I was able to lift this latch. It only can and needs to come up a fraction of an inch. Then the door opens normally. At this point, since you have the dishwasher pulled out a bit, you can also consider getting the hood cover off the top part of the door.

eugened

Premium Member
Hello

I have the same problem, I managed to open the door,
took the front panel out and got access to the door handle.
I found out the handle is broken. I ordered a new handle, but can only guess how to put the parts together. Did anybody do it?
Also I wonder whether anybody can point me to the door schematic (pictures)
I would appreciate any help and advice

Eugene

eugened

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake

I think I know how the link #5 and spring #4, connects to the handle #9, I just don't understand where the other end of the link should go. Does it connect to the lacth on the other end? Or I just insert the link into the handle,connect the spring, and the other end of the link is supposed to push the latch spring ?
Did anybody do it before?

Thanks again
Eugene

eugened

Premium Member
I fixed it! After I got the new door handle it became clear to me right away how the parts fit together.
I couldn't understand the mechanics because the old handle was broken

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job, yea, its abit tricky, but glad you got it.:)

Jake

eugened

Premium Member
I also wonder whether there is a site where one can buy recycled parts.
When I took the front panel off , I noticed that a couple of screw nests are broken and also some other broken part of it(I guess the previous owner tried to repair it prior to me). I think it'll need to be replaced in future if I stay with that dishwasher.
So I don't want to spend $150 on a new front panel (I'd rather buy a new dishwasher, mine is about 10 years old I guess) , but I would consider buying a recycled one for significantly reduced price

Eugene -

I have a similar problem to the one you describe here -- The door to my KitchenAid DW will not open. It feels as if the spring has slipped within the latch.

I cannot get to the Model Number (within the unit), but it is a "Whisper Quiet Ultima" SuperBa and at least 10 years old.

My question for today is how do I get the door panel open? Is it enough to take out the two little screws that are at the bottom of the door panel? Or is it a more involved process?

Hopefully, i will be able to fix the Latch like Eugened once I get the door panel off and have access to the latch assembly.

Thanks...

mccullo4

We had this same problem with our Kitchenaid dishwasher this morning. It is not necessary to take apart the dishwasher like others recommend. My husband layed on this back in front of the dishwasher and used a butter knife. He slid it behind the latch handle and pushed the latch handle up and it opened! Now it opens with no problems, just a little loose handle. Try this before taking your dishwasher apart. Praise God!!!

KDX500

I also have the KitchenAid KUDS25SH. The handle mechanism somehow came apart and the door wouldn't open, but the mechanism itself didn't break, so I was able to take it apart, reassemble it, and it works fine. My unit is fastened to the underside of the countertop as recommended, so I used needle nosed vise grips to remove the screws and slide the unit out just a few inches. Once the unit is out a few inches you can see that the back end of the latch strike plate is fastened to the frame with 2 small hex head screws. If you remove the 2 screws the latch strike plate can be lifted right off the handle latch and the door will open. At that point you can remove the torx screws that hold the top exterior control panel in place to access the whole latch mechanism and handle for repair. It was very easy once I got the under counter screws out. In order to make it easier to remove for the future I replaced the 2 under counter phillips head screws with same size hex head screws which could be removed with a small open-end wrench if needed.