DPVH880EJ3MG Profile Dryer Shuts off before clothes are dry

CO3LT

Premium Member
Model Number
DPVH880EJ3MG
Brand
GE
I've spent the better part of two days trying to figure out what's up with this thing.
My GE Profile dryer will sometimes work just fine and other times will shut down before the drying is complete. When it acts up it happens in both timed and sensor dry modes. It won't restart until it's cooled off a bit then will run some more. Sometimes to completion, sometimes having to be cooled and restarted multiple times. I'm not exactly sure how long this has been going on though I'm told that it's becoming more common.

Thinking about it, it does seem to be a bit more of an issue with bigger heavier loads.
The matching washer is a piece of junk from the get go and often doesn't completely wring the clothes dry. Since it can't be run on a spin cycle over medium or it will shake itself like it's going to throw a rod and walk itself across the floor until it pulls it's power cord out of the outlet, sometimes the clothes in the dryer are heavier than they ought to be.

It seems to have decent heat. I ran thermistor service tests and they seemed to be properly cycling. Checked the outlet control thermostat and inlet safety thermostat and have continuity at room temp on both.

Ducts are clean.

I'm thinking weak motor. There doesn't seem to be a way to test that so I assume it's a process of elimination. I just want to make sure I've checked everything I can before I take the backhoe to it.

If anyone can help out it would be much appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There doesn't seem to be a way to test that so I assume it's a process of elimination.
That's correct.

Also check to make sure there is no lint build-up on or around the motor, that would cause the motor to overheat and shut down.

Here's the motor for your model you can order:
WE17X20854 Motor and Pulley

For your matching washer it sounds like you need a suspension rod kit for the walking itself across the floor problem. If you post the model number of your washer I can look that up for you.

Jake

CO3LT

Premium Member
Washer is a WPDH8800J1MG. I received a recall / bulletin on this machine some time ago. Never scheduled an appointment due to some extenuating circumstances. Is that what the recall was for and can I still get it serviced by GE?

CO3LT

Premium Member
BTW, I opened the cabinet and there wasn't very much lint in there. Blew it out with compressed air and vacuumed anyway. No noticeable difference, but it's an intermittent problem anyway.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, here's that recall on your GE washer: GE Profile Front-Load Washers October 2012 Recall

BTW, I opened the cabinet and there wasn't very much lint in there. Blew it out with compressed air and vacuumed anyway. No noticeable difference, but it's an intermittent problem anyway.
Yup, Intermittent problems are the hardest to nail down, but it does sound like the motor is the issue.

Jake

wedoscuba

Hello,
I am having the exact same problem with my dryer (same model) that you did. Did replacing the drive motor solve the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. They techs have been out 6 times and so far have replaced the sensor set and the mother board to with no luck. So far GE is of little or no help.
Thanks,
Clint