• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Drain pan cracked

LisaH

Model Number
MBL2556KES2
Brand
Maytag
My husband and I have noticed water under our Maytag fridge with bottom freezer for the past several months. It's not consistently there and we couldn't determine the cause. Today we checked the drain inside the back of the freezer and found that was fine. We opened the back of the fridge and discovered that the plastic drain pan is cracked. We can't figure out how to remove this so that we can replace it. Is there any easy way to accomplish this?

thanks!
Lisa

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
If you remove the two screws holding the condenser fan motor bracket and then remove the condenser fan motor and bracket assembly (front left corner is held in by a metal tab that slides under another metal tab) the pan should come out.
Drip Tray 12579803 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Drip-Tray-12579803--01084705.jpg
Condenser Fan Motor Assembly.jpg

vavaroutsos

Premium Member
I have the same exact problem. I think the pan has a design flaw, as the thin section is too rigid and cracks from vibration.

I can't figure out how to get it out either. The fan assembly is too tall to slide out the back, and it can't be tilted in any direction that helps. The pan is also held by one of the compressor mounting bolts. It extends from the left to right side of the cabinet and is blocked by the coils in front, so there's not many directions it can move in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

~petev

rickgburton

Staff member
Take the condensor fan motor and bracket out first, see the above diagram.

vavaroutsos

Premium Member
Rick, thanks for the quick reply. i have a Jenn-Air JFC2290VEP0. maybe it's slightly different, but i can't even see how to get the condenser fan motor and bracket out. it's held in by two screws and metal tabs as described. however, i can't see any way to manipulate it to get it out.

thanks,

~petev

rickgburton

Staff member
On your model you might have to remove the two screws on each side of the lower cabinet then tilt the refrigerator forward. That should give you enough room to get it out.

icecube_pmb

Premium Member
I have the same exact problem. I think the pan has a design flaw, as the thin section is too rigid and cracks from vibration.

You may be onto something. Our fridge had the cracked drain pan at the 6months mark, had it replaced. Fast fowarded 2 years later, today had the replacement replaced. Same crack, same spot.

original pan and 1st replacement.PNG

Good news is, the new replacement drain pan is made of an entirely different more flexible material. Guess they know it is a design flaw. Now to convince Kitchenaid to own up to this oversight as we had to pay out of pocket to repair this time. :(

new pan.PNG

Attachments

• original pan and 1st replacement.PNG
    original pan and 1st replacement.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 272
  • new pan.PNG
    new pan.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 190