• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Drinking Water Smells in Side-by-Side RS25J500DSG/AA - problem and solution

GregZ

Premium Member
Model Number
RS25J500DSG/A
Brand
Samsung
We have a Samsung RS25J500DSG/AA that we purchased Summer of 2018. The drinking water started smelling like rotten cabbage. We replaced the filter to no avail. I took out the water container (located above the filter) washed it through. We washed all the lines with diluted clorox. The smell was back a few hours later. I went ahead and purchased a filter assembly (you can only buy the entire assembly - DA81-05885A). When I was ready to replace that (you need to disconnect all the plastic hoses), I had to remove the hose that goes from the container through a connection at the front bottom of the fridge to the water dispenser nozzle. This hose is in a plastic conduit going from the bottom of the refrigerator inside (just below the filter unit) to the bottom front center of the refrigerator (you can just pull the hose out). The hose emitted one of the worst smells I have ever encountered in my life. The hose is not sealed to the conduit at the top (except with a sponge so cold cannot escape). If some dirty water goes in there (when you clean the fridge for example) it is going to be stuck and bacteria will start growing. The plastic hose (I am not sure what it is made of) will let the smell (and the bacteria?) diffuse through the wall of the hose and you will get bad smelling water.
I believe that his is clearly a design flaw.

For anyone reading this post who has the same problem: disconnect the water line at the front center of the fridge (remove the front bottom cover - three or four screws, disconnect the quick coupler (put a plate under to catch a little bit of water). On the back of the fridge remove the plastic pieces that hold the waterlines in place (the black corner piece where water enters the fridge, and the grey ones that attach the lines to the back). remove the single screw that holds the filter assembly and carefully lift and pull the assembly (but do not remove it. You will see the hose that goes towards the bottom and out to the front. pull that hose out (and prepare for the smell). Dilute clorox , put a plate at the front of the conduit to catch the water and start flushing the conduit. It will take a while - we also used a thicker pipe cleaner and pulled it through a few dozen times with a string. At the front the conduit should be cleaned with cotton swabs as there is a ridge. It will take a while. Make sure you also clean the hose inside and out, and flow a few gallons of water through it. Reassemble. I would seal the top of the conduit to the hose with some silicone.

MrJordan23

Premium Member
Fixed the smell. Cant fix the taste. Is there a way to disconnect the hose from the filter? I could seem to get it. Also is there a way to purge the line to the water spout? I’m thinking the entire line could be contaminated from this. BTW thanks for the heads up on the smell that was god awful at best

MrJordan23

Premium Member
Fixed the smell. Cant fix the taste. Is there a way to disconnect the hose from the filter? I could seem to get it. Also is there a way to purge the line to the water spout? I’m thinking the entire line could be contaminated from this. BTW thanks for the heads up on the smell that was god awful at best
Should read I couldn’t seem to get the hose loose from the filter housing

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

GregZ

Premium Member
I would advise not to disconnect the lines from the assembly (as seen above). You will have to shorten the hoses to reconnect in order to avoid leaks (as the metal keepers scretch them up as you remove the hose. I had to buy the assembly. Now, you could remove the entire assembly and put it into a diluted clorox bath...