• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

DRSR483ED1WW Replaced GE felt now dryer turns off after 1-2mins

JMBC

Premium Member
Model Number
DRSR483ED1WW
Brand
GE
Hi, I read a similar old thread where the reassembly of the front panel wasn’t correct and caused the same issue but I don’t quite understand how they fixed it, so forgive me If you’ve heard this one before...

Replaced felt today, reassembled, ran to test and it starts fine, heats, then turns off after 1-2 minutes (on both timed dry and automatic settings). Will restart but the same thing happens again. It can’t be a coincidence that I was just working on it today so Im thinking I went wrong in the reinstall of the front panel and drum. Replacing the felt seemed very straightforward so I don’t think my issue stems from that but vacuuming lint from every crevice, man handling the panel and aligning the drum took time so I can see if thats where I went wrong.

Many thanks in advance from a Mom of four little boys and a deployed husband!

*Working with a GE model DRSR483ED1WW*

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

What was the reason why you replaced the felt to begin with?

Jake

JMBC

Premium Member
Hi, thanks, the old felt had started to come out one day, not knowing what it was and thinking it was lint, I pulled it out, got a few marks on some clothes, investigated possible causes, realized what it was, looked up the part and replaced Trying to save myself a service call. If it were anything but a price of felt or actually inside the body of the machine I would have left it up to a technician for sure!

JMBC

Premium Member
I’m going to open the machine back up in a few minutes to check I didn’t jostle any of the connections on the top panel, I noticed how cumbersome the connections were yesterday if too much tension or weight beared on the wires (after unscrewing and resting the control panel as gently as I could) and am wondering if it could be something came loose.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, unplug your dryer from the wall first before you take it apart again.

It must be a loose connection, because just replacing the felt should of NOT started this new problem that wasn't present beforehand.:)

Jake

JMBC

Premium Member
Thanks for the safety reminder :) Didn’t see any loose connections but 3/4 of what I am just learning are slides/glides on the front panel are worn away pretty badly, so I removed them and will replace them all but that can’t be what’s causing the premature shut off on heated dry settings right?

JMBC

Premium Member
The new felt was also really smooshed down already...is that normal as it acclimates to the drum turning for the first few times?

JMBC

Premium Member
Just wanted to update-had a tech out to help me diagnose and unrelated to my original problem we discovered the heating element was broken and at risk of contacting the metal housing so they offered to replace it. Can a heating element be broken but also be largely asymptomagic? The cost of repair is over half of what a new electric dryer should run and so I think we may just purchase a new scratch-n-dent at our local Lowe’s since we only need a w/d 1.5 more years at this rental property. Thanks for the help here, let me know if any of that doesn’t sound right 😬

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, a bad heating element can cause that shut-down like that on these GE models.

The heating element must of been weak and worn, and when you moved the drum to put the felt on it probably broke.

Glad the tech. found the problem.

Yes, its best now to get a scratch and dent new dryer at this point.

Jake

JMBC

Premium Member
That’s what I was thinking about the drum, I def must have bumped into it. And yes I decoded the serial number last night and it is a 2004 so it lived a good life 😂 thank you for what you do here, troubleshooting faults in appliances alone as a stranger to this work is stressful, I’d be happy to donate to keep the site going.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks JMBC!

Jake