FIXED DRSR483EG5WW Dryer heat shield at controls

bb0023

Premium Member
Model Number
DRSR483EG5WW
Brand
GE
I took the rear panel off of the backsplash to replace the timer part. I did that a few months ago and did not take pics. I finally got the replacement part (new switch) now.

But i am just now putting it back together. How does the "rear heat shield" (GE part WE1M723) go back in? according to the dryer diagram (shows up as part 227) in goes in a certain way. that just is not working the way they show it.

I can get it to go in a couple other ways but with all the wires, switches, contacts, and heat buildup in that space i am not sure. No repairman wants to help except to make a service call. that is not going to happen. went to a store that sells these dryers to see if maybe they could open the rear backsplash for a peek, but no. had to try. somebody out there has got to be able to help me. thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Going by the parts breakdown it would appear a single screw holds it to the top panel in the center.

bb0023

Premium Member
someone has to have a dryer like mine.
can anyone pull the back cover off and tell me exactly how that part 227 is attached?? the diagram is incorrect as far as i can tell. thanks

bb0023

Premium Member
someone should have a dryer like mine. can anyone just open the back and tell me how part 227 fits, please? maybe a pic or two?
it does not fit per the diagram. there are too many wires and connections and components to fit like that.
thanks!!

jeff1

Staff member
Hi,

Your model appears close to mine....which had no extra shields....at least none
that showed on the breakdown. If yours has one it should screw into that beige panal.

ge2.jpg

jeff.

bb0023

Premium Member
i have included 3 pics. one is of the rear of the control panel area. this is what i opened up to replace the timer switch. the large metal piece shown in the other pic encloses this antire area. the other smaller metal piece is "part #227" ( the heat shield) . I dont remember how it was screwed in there, looked at the manual, but just does not seem to go back in per the diagram. There is only one hole for a scew. hope this helps in further answers. Thank you very much.

100_0536.jpg100_0535.jpg100_0537.jpg

jeff1

Staff member
I believe I have seen that before on the back outside of the dryer....never had to remove it myself.

jeff.

bb0023

Premium Member
jeff
on your dryer, by chance could you unscrew the rear top metal panel cover? Hopefully inside you should see the smaller metal panel - the so called heat shield. see my prior emails and pics. can you take some pics of it or describe how it really is suppose to fit??? please?? thanks

jeff1

Staff member
Back at the shop on Monday, will check.

jeff.

bb0023

Premium Member
any news?

Just wondering if you had a chance to check any other dryers even remotely similar to mine regarding the problems listed on the applianceblog website.
Thanks

jeff1

Staff member
Havne't had a GE style dryers in yet :(

jeff.

Aconn83

I can't figure out how to put the rear heat shield part 227 back on my GTDP180ED0WW dryer.

rickgburton

Staff member
You need two small screwdrivers. Insert the two screw drivers in two of the holes of the drum support, shield and into the back of the dryer. On the inside of the drum hold the two screwdriver shafts with one hand while you get one screw in with the other hand. Once you get one screw in it's easy. It's much easier if you have a helper.

mell

Premium Member
I was just looking for the answer to this question too. I know it's been a long time, but how did you end up installing the heat shield?
I replaced the timer control and cannot figure out how to put the heat shield back, someone else had it put back together before me but left the heat shield out. I tried to put it in, but when it closed it was very tight and almost cut into one of the wires.

mell

Premium Member
Nevermind, I just saw a video and see that it is on the exterior of the panel.