• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED DRSR495EG0WW GE Dryer Noise

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
Model Number
DRSR495EG0WW
Brand
GE
Jake:

If you can, have a listen to this please. It's my sister's dryer, a GE electric dryer. Sound comes and goes, currently not doing it, but was yesterday. What do you think? Sounds like something in the drum or stuck? I don't think I can include the video as a file attachment, this link might work:

Thanks.

Lewis R

Premium Member
Front bearing glide pads, rear bearing, or idler pulley. These are the most common sources of noise due to wear, which is quite normal, and would need to be serviced. Fairly simple dryer to work with.

Lewis

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I agree with Lewis.

These parts below are most common to fail for this problem you're having. I've replaced many of these same parts for this noise problem.

Here's the rear bearing sleeve for your model you can order here(Video Included):
WE1M462 Rear Drum Bearing Sleeve

Here's the front bearing/glide assembly for your model you can order here(Video Included):
WE3M26 Dryer Drum Front Support Bearing

You would need to order the slides for it as well, as they don't come with the bearing assembly.

Order 2 of these: WE1M504 Bearing Slide

Order 2 of these: WE1M1067 Bearing Slide

Here's the front bearing kit(comes with the slides and belt and front bearing):
WE49X20697 Dryer Bearing Kit

Jake

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
Yes, I would be doing it myself. Thanks, Lewis and Jake for all of the input. The noise has gone away for now, but I will keep an eye on it. Machine belongs to my sister.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Poncho, if the noise returns order those parts.:)

Jake

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
Will do, Jake. Thanks again. I'll see if the noise comes back and if so, I'll do the front bearing kit first since that's easy.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Poncho, sounds good.

Jake

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
Bearing kit on order (along with a new light bulb). I will do the front bearing repair first and check the belt (if it needs it, I will replace it). If that doesn't solve it, I'll do the repair on the rear bearing as suggested. We'll see and I'll advise my results.

Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
Haven't forgotten about responding with the results. My sister is going to Europe on vacation so I will be getting there in about 2 weeks to do the repair. I will post the results then. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Poncho, sounds good.

Jake

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
I do the repairs tomorrow to the dryer, and I will advise on that. I tried to change the light bulb with a new one, still doesn't work. What have you guys encountered with this? I will check the socket and such when I have it apart tomorrow. Any tips on what you've come across when you change the bulb and it still doesn't work? The bulb is a GE OEM, same wattage and base type.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Use your meter to see if you get 120 volts at the light socket when the door is open.:)

Jake

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
Found the inoperative light problem Jake! Broken black wire going to the socket, so that will have to be ordered if my sister wants the drum light back :). Bearing slides were surely worn out, that's for sure. The green slides (the ones closest to the top) were completely gone and the white outer ones were not far behind. So no matter what, the kit had to be installed. I left the belt and rear bearing alone for now. The felt seal was also completely gone as well, so I replaced that too. Also gave it a good cleaning with the wet dry vac and got the lint cleaned out of it.

Please have a listen to how it sounds now. What do you think? All good? I hear some slight noise, but considering that there were NO slides left, I think now you actually have contact with the slides now that they are all new. I checked to make sure that they were fully seated in their holders and they are all "bottomed out" against the stops in the plastic. Thanks for all your help, along with everyone else that answered. Much appreciated.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0QheVL3h3sGvrH_xqctA5GOng

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it sounds fine Poncho. (y)

I wish I could of heard it before you replaced those parts.:)

You know you can upload videos on our site now.

Jake

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. My sister had uploaded a "before" video, but the link expired. I'm glad that it's 100% now. So, I will order the light socket and do that install when it arrives. After the dryer repair, I went outside and changed the oil and filter on her truck, so it was a perfect test since I had to of course launder my clothes, and my clothes were the first "run" of the repaired dryer.

Once again, thanks for your and everyone's help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Poncho.

Jake