• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED DRSR495EG6WW GE Dryer will not stop on Automatic

Geomancer

Premium Member
Model Number
DRSR495EG6WW
Brand
GE
Hello,

I have a DRSR495EG6WW dryer that will no longer turn itself off when using the automatic settings. If I use the timer, the knob will still spin down so it's not completely non-functional.

I opened up the control panel and looked at the control board, I did not see any noticeable damage to any of the components.

What's the most likely part that needs replaced? Is there a moisture sensor somewhere or would it more likely still be the timer?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Geomancer said:
What's the most likely part that needs replaced? Is there a moisture sensor somewhere or would it more likely still be the timer?
If the timer ever advances in its own, a defective timer should not be responsible for the symptom.

There are sensor rods inside the drum that look like this.

LINK > WE1M575 Sensor Rod

In theory when wet clothes make contact between 2 of them it causes the control to "think" the clothes are still wet which retards advancing the timer for added drying. If those rods came in contact with each other for some reason or something metallic got caught between them, the control would also take that as wet clothing and not advance the timer. It might also be possible the wiring to those sensor rods have become shorted and creating the same fault condition.

Other than that, the dryness control itself might be the cause although I don't know how to confirm that.

LINK > Dryness Control Board WE4M272 replacement

Dan O.

Last edited:

Geomancer

Premium Member
Thank you very much for the information!

I used my meter to check between the two rods (they're next to the lint trap for anyone else coming along) and measured just shy of 1 megohm with the dryer unplugged.

So it doesn't look like a short.

Humm, wish I knew more about what signal makes the timer advance so I could check it while running to see if the control board is trying to advance it or not. That could tell me if it's one or the other.

As you say though, since the timer advances on the regular timed mode, it should be able to advance in the sensor mode too. I just don't want to go down a rabbit hole of replacing parts and not fixing the problem on a nearly 11 year old machine.

I'll order a control board: WE04X10102

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Geomancer said:
wish I knew more about what signal makes the timer advance
The timer motor operates on 120 VAC.

Geomancer said:
As you say though, since the timer advances on the regular timed mode, it should be able to advance in the sensor mode too.
Right. If the timer motor was defective it should always be defective.

Dan O.

Last edited:

Geomancer

Premium Member
Just wanted to follow up on this in case someone else comes along with the same problem.

I replaced the control board, and everything is back to working perfectly.

Thank you Dan for your help, I really appreciate it!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Geomancer said:
I replaced the control board, and everything is back to working perfectly.
Glad to hear it. Thanks for the followup.

Dan O.