Dryer heating problem

LadyDi

Premium Member
I have a Maytag Performa gas dryer, only about 2-3 years old. Worked fine one day and the next it wouldn't heat properly. When I turn it on I can hear the electric start click and it will heat for about 10 minutes and then I hear the click and it shuts the heat off. After another 5-10 minutes it no longer clicks but begins a noise, almost like a rattle and lasts as long as a heating cycle would last, then it stops. The rattle noise comes and goes just as if the heating cycle was kicking in and out but there's no heat after the first 10 minutes of drying time.

My husband opened the dryer and cleaned everything but still no heat after the first 10 minutes.

Any advice?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Mad Mac

Appliance Tech
Moorpark (via Motherwell, Scotland), California, U
No model number...but what you describe sounds like the gas valve coils are on the way out. A common problem, and a simple, relatively easy repair.

Post your model number (Either next to where the laundry goes in or possibly ontop of the control console, should look something like MDG then 4 numbers followed by 3 letters), and we'll give you some more detailed info.

LadyDi

Premium Member
Model number

Sorry, my model # is: PYG2300AWW and in case you need it, the serial # is: 10453136AP