• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Dryer not cooling at cycle end and element stayed on when dryer was opened

Sort_of_Handy!

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
recently our dryer quit cooling when it was nearing the end of each cycle. Typically we use the "more dry" setting when using the dryer. When it get through the less dry it would cool the clothes and they would be wonderfully wrinkle free.
I cleaned the exhaust and it was surprisingly clean, secondly I put the dryer on " air only " this setting, I would assume would not activate the heating element. I found that the exhaust was warming during the cycle. I then changed to timed dry and observed the same heat coming from the exhaust.
I opened the dryer and was looking into the drum area (like that was going to help) I found that the element was cycling on and creating heat with the door open. I dont know if this is normal but it seems odd to me. Opening the dryer should indicate that I want the system to stop.

I have tried researching and dont want to waste money. The responses are all over the board online!

Right now in my cart at sears online is a Heating Element, Dryer Thermal fuse, Dryer High Limit Thermostat and a dryer operating thermostat.
I know it should not be all of them.... I went back to the source of the most reliable information - you know that world wide web and of course confused myself even more. I read it was the timer or it was the .......

I am hoping that someone here has experiences something like this and can help me. I don't want to spend enough on parts that I should have went and bought a new dryer.

Sort_of_Handy!

Premium Member
Thank you for the reply. I will grab my meter and check it this evening and report back tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
If I determine that the element is the issue is it wise to also change any of the thermostats at that time?
I clicked the link at the end of your post and found, I assume you work for a company. I will make the purchase from your company due to your assistance and efforts.
I started a cart and looking through the items I found what appears to be 2 thermostats and 2 thermal fuses as well as the heating element.

#2438 Kenmore Dryer Heating Element
#2968 Thermal Fuse
#898078 High Limit Thermostat
#2893 Cycling Thermostat
#2651 Thermal Fuse

With a total in parts just over 100.00 it would be worth it rather than replacement, but just like everyone I dont want to waste money. I am willing to change all the parts that would be determined beneficial and in need of replacement.

Thanks much!!!

Last edited: