• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Dryer Will Not Heat

ginky4

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Sears Kenmore dryer that is 7 years old and will not produce any heat. Everything else seems to work except the heat. I already replaced the timer thinking that it could be the problem and that did not correct the problem.

What else could it be?

ginky4

Premium Member
One other thing. The dryer will not turn off no matter what setting I put the timer on. If I set the timer to timed/dry starting at 70 it will get down to 5 and never turn off. If I set it to Automatic Dry it will not count down from 70 at all. My original timer did the exact same thing that is why I thought it was a timer issue.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

You'll need to ohm test your thermal cut-off and heating element for continuity.

Unplug your dryer first.

Thermal cut-off testing is the same as thermal fuse testing.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3nicyh6EUHc?rel=0" frameBorder="0" width="640" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Here's the thermal cut-off for your model, it includes your hi-limit thermostat as well, that MUST be changed too(Install video included):
Manufacturer part#279816 is RepairClinic item#2651

Here is a photo of the back of your dryer without the back access panel on, the thermal cut-off is #1 here:

If the thermal cut-off tests good, then ohm test your heating element.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wq-3zsiBID8?rel=0" frameBorder="0" width="640" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Here's the heating element for your model, in case you need to order it(Install video included):
Manufacturer part number 279838 is RepairClinic item number 2438

Let us know what you find.

Jake

ginky4

Premium Member
How do I get to the heating element so that I can ohm test it? Can you supply a diagram please? Also in my owners manual my Thermal Cut Off Switch part number is 3977393 and my Heating Element number is 8565582. Do the numbers you provided supercede mine?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Very easy, just pull your dryer out from the wall, then unplug it, then remove the back access panel.

Here is a photo of the back of your dryer without the back access panel on, the thermal cut-off is #1 and #4 is the heating element, just remove the wires on both parts and use a multimeter to ohm test them, per the videos above.

Jake

ginky4

Premium Member
Jake, I will post back with the results when I get them. Do you think the problem I am having with my timer not working correctly could be connected to the heating problem?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, its not the timer, one you fix your no heating issue, the timer will work normally again.

Jake