• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Dryer won't start when 'Start' knob is turned

njose17

Premium Member
Model Number
DBXR463GG7WW
Brand
GE
The dryer won't start immediately after I turn the 'Start' knob. It would take several tries at 'turning' the knob for dryer to start. Everything else seems to work fine as it heats and dries the clothes. It's just getting it to start is the problem. Is it just the "on switch" that needs to be replaced or is there something else going on? Thanks for any advice and tips.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

It would take several tries at 'turning' the knob for dryer to start

What happens instead? Sits there dead, makes a hummmmm noise?

If dead, very possible the turn to start switch is going south...

Rotary-Switch-WE4M519-01214697.jpg Rotary start switch Manufacturer Number WE4M519

jeff.

njose17

Premium Member
Thanks Jeff. I will check it out. When I turn the knob, nothing happens. The dryer is as quiet and as still as it is while off. There's no humming noise.

Any chance you can also lead me to a timer fix? My dryer's (same dryer) timer doesn't work as well. The dryer works fine and dries the clothes when it's on any of the timed dryer settings. It just doesn't turn off (knob doesn't move) on its own. I have to turn off the dryer manually (by opening the loading door).

Thanks again.

jeff1

Staff member
The dryer works fine and dries the clothes when it's on any of the timed dryer settings. It just doesn't turn off (knob doesn't move) on its own

Timer-WE4M357-01044721.jpg 2 black wires comming out of the timer motor...we would access the timer, set for time dry and turn on the dryer...with our volt meter we check for power ( normally 120 volts AC ) to the 2 black timer motor wires, power there and no movement/advancing = new timer time.

Timer-WE4M357-01044731.jpg Dryer timer with plastic shaft Manufacturer Number WE4M357

jeff.

njose17

Premium Member
Thanks Jeff. I truly appreciate all your help. By the way, do you prefer an analog multimeter/volt meter or a digital one? Does one have an advantage over the other? Thanks again.

jeff1

Staff member
I only use an analog or needle meter for microwaves and capacitor testing....and a digital for most other products.....I carry both.

jeff.