DU1055XTSS3 Whirlpool dishwasher heater problem?

AWSHandy

Premium Member
Model Number
DU1055XTSS3
Brand
Whirlpool
I checked this dishwasher out and found this.

1) dishwasher would not start and "CLEAN" led light was blinking
2) I found service guide and ran diagnostics. It went through cycle no problem
3) service troubleshooting guide said that blinking CLEAN light means a a "water heater malfunction; no detection of heat increase during MAIN WASH cycle for 3 consecutive cycles. CLEAN light will blink again after the 3rd cycle".
4) Services guide said that running diagnostics resets the control so that the 3 cycles could run, but CLEAN light may blink again if heater malfunction.
5) Service guide says possible causes are a) faulty door switch....seems unlikely as dishwasher would not run if switch did not work
b) faulty door latch mechanism...unlikely..see b) above
c) Open circuit in heater
d) open connection in heater circuit
e) faulty heater drive circuit on control board
d) was pump not pushing water past heater efficiently

So, a lot of choices. I was hoping that someone has seen this before and could point me in the proper direction. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is a very common problem, there are many threads on this, we have TWO SEARCH BOXES at the right side TOP of our forum, type in: clean light blinks 7 times

You will see many threads, and what to test with your multimeter.:) The most common part to cause this is a bad heating element.

Here's the heating element for your model:
Heating Element W10518394 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Here's the video that tells you what the normal ohms the heating element should be(MAKE SURE THE BREAKER TO THE DISHWASHER IS OFF BEFORE OHM TESTING IT, and remove the wires from it as well.:)

[video=youtube;lZCP55aScvI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZCP55aScvI[/video]

Jake

AWSHandy

Premium Member
Hey Jake, Thanks.

So I read through the treads on this issue. It seems the heater element is most likely the issue. I called the customer today and she said she has washed 5-6 loads since I was there and reset using the diagnostic cycle. Do you think the problem is resolved? I will check again with her before I order a heating element. Anything else you can think of? Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, it will do it again.

I wouldn't order any parts without testing them first. That can get very expensive very fast.:)

Did you check the sump basin first? That would be the cause of --->d) was pump not pushing water past heater efficiently

Check your sump basin for something like foreign objects clogging up the chopper blade screen. Also check the black rubber flapper check valve in the first video too.

Watch this video first:

[video=youtube;iRCCrEwrst8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRCCrEwrst8[/video]

Here's the chopper screen for your model:
Food Chopper Assembly WP8268383

Here's the video to check/change it:

[video=youtube;lRDbTgBOtIE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRDbTgBOtIE[/video]

If both the sump basin, and heater ohm tests good, then ohm test your high limit thermostat its underneath the tub towards the front. If all are fine, then the only part left is the control board as the culprit.

Here's the control board for your model you can order here if needed($60 CASH BACK OFFER):
Main Control Board WPW10084142

Jake