• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED DU1055XTVB3 Whirlpool Quiet Partner II Dishwasher keeps stopping every 1 minute during heated wash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarthur

Premium Member
Model Number
DU1055XTVB3
Brand
Whirlpool
When the thermal fuse blew on the Whirlpool Quiet Partner II dishwasher (Model DU1055XTVB3), I replaced it with a "WEN Handyman" thermal fuse from Home Depot that said it was compatible with this model.
Since then, the dishwasher runs in the beginning of a wash for about 15 mins until it enters the "Heated Wash" or the "Thermal Hold" part of the wash cycle sequence. Then it shuts off after 1 minute into that portion of the cycle. All lights go off. After 3 minutes, a relay audibly clicks and the lights come on, with Start/Resume light blinking. Press the Start button and it resumes where it left off. After 1 minute, shuts off again.

This 1 min ON - 3 min OFF sequence keeps going through the entire Heated Wash part. We keep pushing the Start button each time. After it clears that part of the cycle, it continues on without interruption through regular wash, drain, fill, etc. until it hits the second Heated Wash cycle. Then the 1 min ON - 3 min OFF sequence reappears. After it clears that part, it continues with the rest of the wash without interruption again. When done, the Clean light is on with no blinking. If we use the Sanitize option, the Sanitize button is blinking and Clean light is on, but not blinking at the end. The dishes are hot and there is steam dissipating when the door is opened, so the heater seems to be working.

Resetting the control board with the breaker did not help. Running diagnostics with Heated Dry-Normal key press yields no errors - Clean light comes on as indicated in the diagnostic sheet. However the 1 min ON - 3 min OFF sequence appears during the diagnostic test, because there is a heater ON test for two intervals.

It seems like the combined current draw of the wash motor and heater is causing a fuse to trip and shut off power. After it shuts off and cools for 3 minutes, the fuse is back, power is restored and Start light blinks.
I think there are only two fuses with a bimetallic contact - the thermal fuse and the thermostat. I find it hard to believe that it is the thermostat, as that is a Hi-Temp thermostat and the temperature is probably not that high after only 1 minute of heated wash.

Could it be the WEN Handyman thermal fuse? I think that's the only part that cannot be diagnosed by the diagnostic test. But I thought the thermal fuse is supposed to be one-time only. Is it possible that a generic thermal fuse can cut out and cut in again after cooling? I am inclined to replace this fuse with a factory fuse, but wanted to get some confirmation of this reasoning.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you have to use the OEM thermal fuse.

You must install the new wires that come with the thermal fuse kit TOO.:)

Here's the OEM thermal fuse for your model(Video Included in part link)
W10258275 Thermal Fuse

Jake

Sarthur

Premium Member
Yes, I did install the wires that came with the fuse as well.
Okay, so you are saying the $8 generic fuse and wires from Home Depot are no good. That is what I was suspecting, but was puzzled that the thermal fuse could reset itself.
I will get that part, thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the $8 generic fuse and wires from Home Depot are no good.

Do I need to run the diagnostics test after installing the fuse?
Nope, its plug and play.

Jake

Sarthur

Premium Member
Hello Jake,
Got the factory fuse and replaced the Home Depot fuse. The dishwasher has been run three times (once with SaniRinse) and all three times it ran without any halts to completion.
I checked the markings on the Wen Handyman Home Depot fuse and a bit of googling indicated that it was a 250V 10A "auto reset" fuse. So that explains why it blew and then 3 minutes later, cooled off enough to turn on the dishwasher.
In hindsight, I should have checked the markings before installing it.

Thanks for your help, Jake. This has been a very helpful forum.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Sarthur, glad to hear the new OEM thermal fuse I posted in post #2 above fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.