DU1055XTVS8 Whirlpool Quiet Partner II Won't Fully Drain During Cycle

mlorimer8

Premium Member
Model Number
DU1055XTVS8
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello all - This forum has been a great resource to me but after a log of Googling and trying different things I'm stumped.

I have a Whirlpool Quiet Partner II DU1055XTVS8

Recently installed a new garbage disposal which is working great and does not drain back into my dishwasher but I am afraid I may have had perfect positioning on my dishwasher drain tube before it was installed and haven't been able to regain this.

The dishwasher runs its cycle and drains however it doesn't fully drain. I know this because I actually unhooked the tube and held it in a bucket while it ran. It drains maybe 75-80% of the way and then stops. If I hit the drain / cancel button it completes draining. It does this both while hooked up to the disposal and when I was testing into the bucket.

I disassembled the washer and cleaned the food chopper, the foreign object blocker and the check valve (there was a bit of debris in each but not as much was I was hoping to find) among other parts I encountered while I was in there. It's draining slightly better now than it was before this deep clean, but again, still not fully draining without running the drain cycle.

I'm attaching a shot of my drain tube in case it's helpful. Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you,
Matt

unnamed.jpg

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
How much water are we talking about? If your definition of fully drain is every drop, it won't. It leaves enough water in there to keep all the seals wet. If it's more water than that and you did a good job cleaning out the drain hose and chopper area, replace the drain pump:
Drain Pump WPW10348269
Drain-Pump-WPW10348269-01648197.jpg

mlorimer8

Premium Member
Understood.

It's more water than used to be left (i.e. I never noticed water before, for 5 years). I don't expect it to be bone dry, but there's enough water that something isn't right.

mlorimer8

Premium Member
Rick - you're obviously more knowledgeable than me, but does it make sense that the pump is broken if it still drains all the way if I push the drain / cancel button?
I guess I would have thought if the pump was broken it would not successfully drain via any method.

Thanks for your input.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick should be here shortly.

Also if its not draining with lots of pressure behind it, it will take longer than normal to drain, thus having to do the cancel/drain. Have you removed the drain pump to see if the impeller fins are cracked or broken?

Jake

mlorimer8

Premium Member
Haven't gotten to the pump yet. Might have to wait till next weekend.

What are the odds it can be fixed through removing that and cleaning ? should I investigate before ordering the new part or just skip trying the old one and buy new?

rickgburton

Staff member
What are the odds it can be fixed through removing that and cleaning ? should I investigate before ordering the new part...
Even money and yes!

mlorimer8

Premium Member
Rick - I put a new pump in and now the drain doesn’t work at all. Obviously the part could be bad, but is there some sort of reset ? I’m going to send you a PM too. Thanks.

mlorimer8

Premium Member
Ok guys. Sorry for all the message.

I figured the last problem out - the power cord would connect backwards or forwards but obviously only worked one way.

Now I have a new pump but problem still persists. There’s water after the cycle but running drain again empties it out.

What’s my next step? Hoping this doesn’t keep getting more expensive but would really like to solve. Thanks in advance.

rickgburton

Staff member
How much water are we talking about? Either the water valve is over filling the machine or the control is cutting the drain short. There's several drain cycles in a wash cycle. Does the machine leave the same amount of water in the tub after each of the drain cycles?

mlorimer8

Premium Member
I haven’t stopped mid cycle, but when it finishes there’s maybe a quarter inch but this is recent. Historically there was no water at the bottom of the tub after cycle.

I do I fix the water valve or control problems you’ve described ?

I’m worried that calling out a plumber is going to cost hundreds to fix a 6 year old mediocre dishwasher, hence my concern.

rickgburton

Staff member
...maybe a quarter inch but this is recent. Historically there was no water at the bottom of the tub after cycle.
Try running the service diagnostics. Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last ran information from memory and restores defaults; It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle. Calibration cycles begin with a “sensor check” to determine whether the dishwasher has an OWI soil sensor. If the control detects an OWI, it forces two rinses to occur prior to Final Rinse (to assure clear water),

Press: Heated Dry ➙ Normal ➙ Heated Dry ➙ Normal

mlorimer8

Premium Member
Thank you Rick. Will try this. I had seen that those button presses reset the unit, once I run that all the lights lit up - do I need to do anything else once it’s in that mode?

mlorimer8

Premium Member
Rick - thanks again for all your help.

An update - I ran the reset process a few times;
1) without draining, did reset, let it finish - ended up with standing water afterwards
2) drained, then ran reset, let it finish - still had water.

In both cases then ran regular cycle afterwards and there was still water.

I owe you big time for all your help thus far, but any other thoughts I should try?

Looks like I’m going to have to give up soon.

Thanks again!
Matt

mlorimer8

Premium Member
Yikes. For that kind of $ I think I’ll just remember to hit the drain button each night before I go to bed. :(

Really appreciate all your help. Do you have a PayPal account I can send you some $ through for all your responses?

rickgburton

Staff member
One more thing I just thought about, make sure the drain hose loops higher than the bottom of the sink before the disposer connection.

mlorimer8

Premium Member
Thanks. Drain hose was the first thing I checked.

I actually unhooked it once (keeping it high) and drained into a bucket to make sure there wasn’t a problem with my disposal. Same issue. Also tried three or 4 different height settings and no luck.

But,the way I understand it, doesn’t the high loop really do Moreno keep water from coming off the sink / disposal and backing up into the DW rather than to drain the DW? I have my current problem independent of any usage of the sink.