FIXED DU640XTKQ0 Whirlpool Gold Quit Partner III, CLEAN button in flashing 7 times

spgebob

Premium Member
Model Number
DU640
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi Guys

I have a whirlpool DU640XTKQ0 Gold quit partner III and the CLEAN button in flashing 7 times over and over again. I have checked the door switches and thermal fuse for continuity and they work. I ordered and installed a new control board and the dishwasher started. Then it stopped in the middle of a cycle and started flashing again. I opened the door and found there was water at the bottom of the dishwasher.

Anything I can do? Does the CLEAN button flashing 7 times mean there is something stuck in the chopper blade?

The water was warm and the heating element look okay so I don't think it is the heating element.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The water was warm and the heating element look okay so I don't think it is the heating element.
The CLEAN light in flashing 7 times is a heating error, so you will need to OHM test the heating element to be sure its good or not.:)

Wait, I just noticed something when I looked up your model number, the new control board should of come with a NEW HEATING ELEMENT too, did you order the correct part when you ordered the control board?

Here it is:
8194200 Heating element kit with electronic control

Jake

spgebob

Premium Member
no it did not come with a heating element....I will check the element to see if its good...would I be able to buy it separately??

I ordered it form another parts website and the model number I used was WP8564543.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, you can no longer buy the element without the control board now.

So I'd return that control board and order the part I posted if your element is bad.

Jake

spgebob

Premium Member
what if the element is still good? Should I just buy the new element/control board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Well if the heating element ohms good, and the new control board didn't fix it, then you likely have a partial blockage in your sump assembly, or your sump motor impeller is stripped not allowing enough water to flow over the heating element.

Watch the video below which explains in detail about this clean light blinking 7 times problem.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, They clearly say the thermistor CAN NOT cause this problem.:)

Or are you referring to the high-limit thermostat that mounts under the tub?

The hi-limit thermostat part# WP661566 is about the size of a dime, held to the bottom of the tub with a metal bracket. You'll see it, it has two wires on it. Here's how to check it. Take the two wires off, then get your ohm meter and ohm it for continuity, it should read 0 ohms.

The outer door panel comes off for better access. TURN THE BREAKER OFF TO YOUR DISHWASHER FIRST BEFORE ACCESSING AND OHM TESTING IT!

Page#17 here tells you how: Dropbox - 8178022 KD-12 Whirlpool Point Voyager Dishwasher.pdf
Fig. 3-7

Just read step#1 the rest explains how to remove your soap dispenser.

HOW TO ACCESS VIDEO included in part link: Part# WP661566

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

spgebob

Premium Member
I ordered the replacement element with the new control panel, installed it and turned the dishwasher on.

It started working for the first 10 minutes then the blinking CLEAN light seven times.

I checked the high limit thermostat when I replaced the heating element and it has continuity.

I did notice that the new control board is a little different. On one plug there are only three prongs compared to 4 with the old one. I don't know if this could be the problem.

Almost ready to go out and replace the dishwasher.....

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Check your sump basin for something like foreign objects clogging up the chopper blade screen. Also check the black rubber flapper check valve in the first video too.

Watch this video first:

[video=youtube;iRCCrEwrst8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRCCrEwrst8[/video]

Here's the chopper screen for your model:
Food Chopper Assembly WP8268383

Here's the video to check/change it:

[video=youtube;lRDbTgBOtIE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRDbTgBOtIE[/video]

If your sump basin is clear of any foreign objects and your chopper blade screen assembly isn't broken, then your motor is the culprit: W10782773 PUMP&MOTOR

Jake

spgebob

Premium Member
Hey Jake

All is well for now, I noticed when I installed the heating element I forgot to plug one of the wires into the heating element. (stupid me).

So the control board/ heating element combo worked. Even that had a little problem. The nuts to secure the old heating element are NOT the same as the new heating element. The threads on both elements are different. I don't know why the manufacturer does not include the new nuts with the combo. It makes things frustrating.

I also learned that not all appliance parts supply companies on the internet are the same. RepairClinic is the best and most up to date. I called the other place where I bought a new control board and asked them if the heating element came with it. No it did not. So I asked how to I replace the element if it breaks. The answer 'You can't". They did not sell the combo unit. So hopefully everything works out for this long weekend.

Thanks Jake for all your help and the videos were totally excellent!!

I will definitely be back when I get another problem with an appliance.....

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that's why I never trust other online sites other than RepairClinic and AppliancePartsPros.:)

All is well for now, I noticed when I installed the heating element I forgot to plug one of the wires into the heating element.
Glad that was all it was.:)

Jake