• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED DU80A-01 Magic Chef Dishwasher arm not spinning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah2910

Premium Member
Model Number
DU80A-01
Brand
Magic Chef
I have an older Magic Chef dishwasher, its worked great until now. It has one arm at the bottom and its not spinning. Its getting water. Early this week I noticed water sitting at the bottom so I removed the filer to make sure it was clean, it was not clogged. A few tiny pieces in it, but nothing that would block it. Ran it again and it drained fine. Now the dishwasher will run and get water but the arm is not spinning at all. I see water coming out of one side, not sure about the other. When I start it, the arm is still in the same spot when I open it back up. I removed the arm assembly and the intake on the side had some funk and hair in it. Cleaned that and re-installed with still the same results. Any suggestions? Thanks to covid there is no way I can replace it, and we're planning on selling by the end of the year so I really dont want to install a new dishwasher only to sell the house. Its either repair this one or we hand-wash.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
older Magic Chef dishwasher

That vague description is of absolutely no help to identify its design. We need the appliance's exact model number.

You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Location Guide

One possible cause common to all models of dishwashers is amount of water in the machine. After the machine stops filling, open the door and look at the height of the water in the tub compared to the heating element. When you post its model number, include a description of the water height.

Dan O.

Sarah2910

Premium Member
I pulled off the arm assembly again as well as the float assembly. The float assembly was FULL of black buildup and was pretty clogged up. I cleaned and scrubbed that out and re-installed it. Water is coming into the dishwasher arm is still not moving. It looks like water is coming out of the holes in the arm but also looks like its coming out of the assembly. Maybe arm just isnt getting enough pressure to spray and spin?

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
What is the height of the water in the tub compared to the horizontal part of the heating element? Way below, just below (1" or less), over??

Sarah2910

Premium Member
It gets a little more than this during the main cycle

Attachments

• 20201001_175519.jpg
    20201001_175519.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 31

Sarah2910

Premium Member
Water is coming out of the arm as well as where the red circle is in this picture

Attachments

• dishwasher2.jpg
    dishwasher2.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 28

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Sarah2910 said:
way below

I don't think it's filling enough. Water should usually fill to just below the heating element.

Sarah2910 said:
Water is coming out of the arm [support] as well

There is a 'check valve' in the wash arm support. It might have broken and fallen off.

This is the whole lower wash arm support
LINK > Dishwasher Lower Wash Arm Support

This is the 'check valve' separately
LINK > Dishwasher Check Valve

Alternate supplier with current stock. Unfortunately the repair video there is for a different part. :(
LINK > Valve, Check

This picture hopefully shows how the two go together.
check_valve.jpg

If the check valve is missing, it would allow water to exit that hole. If it is missing, you can try installing a new one. If washing still isn't working well enough, someone could look into how it is filling.

Dan O.

Last edited:

Sarah2910

Premium Member
Im pretty sure the check valve is there. It's black and seems to be functioning

Attachments

• 20201001_201215.jpg
    20201001_201215.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20201001_201209.jpg
    20201001_201209.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 27

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Sarah2910 said:
Im pretty sure the check valve is there.

It appears to be, yes. Make sure it isn't gooped up with food and detergent residue and still able to move.

Next I'd suggest doing another wash. After fill stops, open it and add a bucket of water into it. See if it sprays any better.

Dan O.

Sarah2910

Premium Member
Well, revise that... it sprays and works when i fill the bottom with water. But when it stops and drains then im back to the arm not moving or spraying. So im guessing the no-spray issue isn't an arm issue at all but the dishwasher just not filling. Possibly the water inlet valve?? The float assembly seems to be working properly and i would assume since there isn't an issue with the disposal that the water lines aren't clogged.

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
So im guessing the no-spray issue isn't an arm issue at all but the dishwasher just not filling.

Yes. That's what that test is meant to determine.

Sarah2910 said:
Possibly the water inlet valve?

That is one possibility but first check:

Look for kinks in the water line to the D/W. (Unlikely if the installation hasn't changed but check anyway, it's free!)

There might be a sediment screen in the water line at the water valve. That screen might need to be cleaned or replaced. Turn the water to the D/W OFF before checking!

The tap for the D/W water supply might be clogged up. Work it on and off a bit to see if that helps. Make sure it's wide open afterward.

Try changing the water valve. If you need a new valve let me know and I'll try to look it up.

Sarah2910 said:
The float assembly seems to be working properly

The float is only a safety device. It shouldn't affect the water depth except to totally stop filling if broken or the float out of place, or to stop a fill before flooding out the door.

Sarah2910 said:
there isn't an issue with the disposal that the water lines aren't clogged.

That would only affect draining but if plugged could result in dirty water remaining in the dishwasher and maybe flooding.

Dan O.

Last edited:

Sarah2910

Premium Member
So far no luck. I checked the water line, took the inlet valve off and cleaned the screen where the water line plugs into in. It wasn't clogged but did have sediment around it. Put everything back together and still the same issue. So what now?

Sarah2910

Premium Member
That part fixed it, its now running better and stronger than it has in a long time. Thank you SO much for your help. I really thought we were going to have to replace it.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The old valve might have been gradually letting in less and less water over time.

I'm glad it's fixed and we were able to keep another old appliance out of the landfills for a while longer. Thanks for the followup.

Dan O.

Status
Not open for further replies.