DU900PCDQ4 Whirlpool PowerClean 900 Series Has Water at Bottom of Tub

giants1

Premium Member
Model Number
DU900PCDQ4
Brand
Whirlpool
I picked up a used Whirlpool, cleaned up my existing drain air gap and connected tubing, and did my first load last night.

The dishes and cups came out perfectly clean!

But there were three problems. The drain air gap emitted LOTS of warm water. There was a leak at the garbage disposal where the hose, which connects the garbage disposal to the air gap. The entire floor of the tub was filled with water, about 1" deep.

The garbage disposal is a few months old and has no debris or clogs.

About the small kink where the hose from the drain air gap connects to the garbage disposal. I was unable to adjust the hose or the garbage disposal to undo the kink. So I replaced the hose. In doing so, a lot of drain water came out and the tub cleared almost all the way. There are no more leaks anywhere under the sink.

However, at the very bottom of the tub around the circular center there's still some residual dirty water, even after sitting overnight (see photo).

I read that some models have this feature to lubricate the pump, but this doesn't look right to me.

What's the cause of that residual water?

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

You need to make sure your dishwasher drain hose has a loop in it before it connects to the garbage disposal or sink plumbing, if not it would cause that dirty drain water to enter back into the dishwasher, and filling up the sump basin higher than normal.

You can see how it has to loop in Fig 1, Fig 1a, Fig 2 here: http://www.applianceaid.com/drain_wash.html#drain

Jake

giants1

Premium Member
Thanks.

I have a drain air gap set up that way, and just added a flexible corrugated hose so that there's no bend in the connection to the garbage disposal. It's set up like this and the attached photo:

dwhighloop1500.jpg

Shall I run another load and see if the problem resolves?

Also, should I do preventive maintenance and access/clean the food chopper, which is next to the motor? I presume it's never been cleaned, but it looks like a LOT of work?

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Run another load and see if water is still at the bottom.

Make sure the drain water pumps out fast into the garbage disposal.

Also, should I do preventive maintenance and access/clean the food chopper, which is next to the motor? I presume it's never been cleaned, but it looks like a LOT of work?
This is a older model, and better designed per the food chopper, so they don't clog as much as the newer design.

On the impeller and chopper come in a kit.

Its #19 here: Parts for Whirlpool DU900PCDQ4: Pump and Motor Parts

Jake