Duet Sport F21 code - Pump seems to work fine(Repair Manual link)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mara Vernon

I have a 14 month old Duet Sport that has developed a problem which results in a F21 code. The service people changed the mother board but this did not help. The machine seems to work until the water needs to be pumped from the drum. We can hear the pump kick on and run until it cavitates continuously for a long while before finally displaying the f21 code.

Any suggestions? Whirlpool is not telling us anything of value and have been terrible to work with!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

We would need the model# of your washer to look-up what that code is.

The model# is located inside the door.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I found it.

Here's the repair manual for the Kenmore HE2/Whirlpool Duet Sport: Dropbox - 8178558 L-78 Whirlpool Duet Front-Loading Automatic Washer.pdf

F21 is:
LONG DRAIN

If the drain time exceeds 8 minutes the water valves turn off.

NOTES:
After 4 minutes the “Sd” error will be displayed, then
4 minutes later the “F/21” error code will be displayed.
Press PAUSE/CANCEL two times to clear the display.

Possible Causes/Procedure
1. Check the drain hose and make sure it is not plugged or kinked.
2. Unplug washer or disconnect power.
3. Check the electrical connections at the pump and make sure the pump is running.
4. Check the drain pump filter for foreign objects.
5. Plug in washer or reconnect power.
6. If the above does not correct the problem, go to step 7.
7. Unplug washer or disconnect power.
8. Replace the pump.

Jake

Sirtravers

Premium Member
Excellent advice

Thanks Jake for your advice here. My Duet Sport was throwing the F21 code also. I stumbled through here and followed your advice. The PDF manual was very nice and walked me right through everything I had to do.
10 minutes later I had the front panel off and the filter cap removed. It's crazy how much junk was down in there. At least I know how to get back in there now. I'll be checking the filter and our kids pants more often for debris.

bigredcj5

Would you happen to have the official online repair manual for the Whirlpool WFW9200SQA12.
I need to see how this thing is put together so I can more easily gain access.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Unfortunately I don't have it for your model.

Jake

cwskulk

Premium Member
I too have the dreaded F21. Duet Sport ht, Model WFW8400TW02.
I followed the eight steps listed earlier. So now I have a new pump and pressure switch. The machine worked well for two weeks. Now I have the F21 code showing again. Any suggestions for the newbie are much appreciated.

cwskulk

Premium Member
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Rechecked the hose - fine. The drain and trap were clear. Quite a bit of water (3 cups or so) ran out of the drain, after the machine shut down with 'Sd' and 'F21' error codes.
I never considered bad replacement parts. Does this sound more like the pump vs. the pressure switch?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Make sure HE soap is being used, no soap retention in the clothes ( wash clothing without soap to ensure no soap is left in the fabric ) and try another pump would be a good idea.

jeff.

cwskulk

Premium Member
Yes - HE soap, removed the hose - no obstructions, exchanged the pump and installed a new OEM pump.
The machine ran 2 loads perfectly. During the 3rd and 4th load, the 'Sd' code showed, but the wash cycle completed. 5th load the washer shut down before the final spin (clothes were still wet). Error code history showed 'F21'.
Is it time for a new machine?

TML

Premium Member
I have now gotten the "F21" error code for the 2nd time on my Duet Sport washer. It only seems to happen when I run the cycle to clean the washer itself. I notice also that some water leaks out the front of the machine during this cycle only.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.