Duet WFW9550WW00 F21 error code drain pump works

Randero

Premium Member
Model Number
WFW9550WW00
Brand
Whirlpool
Original problem was door Latch. Replaced with new and now door will latch, red light comes on, timer counts down, and washer does nothing. No water fill, no load sense and timer counts down, stops at 01. Push pause cancel and the red light flashes but door does not unlock. Press power and wait allotted time and door will unlock. Throws F21 code. Run self diagnosis. Water fills, no basket movement, and drain pump comes on and drains unit no error code sometimes and f21 sometimes. I have unplugged and replugged all connectors on the main board and main power in. What am I missing? Please help!

Added complete model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

We need the complete model number, here's the results I get with WFW9550:
WFW9550WL00
WFW9550WL01
WFW9550WL10
WFW9550WR00
WFW9550WR01
WFW9550WW00
WFW9550WW01
WFW9550WW10

The model number tag is located inside the door.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

Since your motor is not running to turn the basket in the diagnostics, then I'd first check your MCU(Motor Control Board), unplug your washer first, then remove the circuit board from the plastic casing and see if its burnt.

Look here:

Motor Control Board WPW10384846

Jake

Randero

Premium Member
Thank you Jake. Tomorrow i am going to pull that board and also measure the motor winding resistance. I wonder why during diagnostics, there is no fault code. I will keep you posted on what I find.

Randero

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Keep us posted. Make sure the access panels are in place as this model has ground switches.

Jake

Randero

Premium Member
I had some things come up and didnt get to the washer today but will try again tomorrow. I have been running these tests with the top off and the lower front panel off, can that be why the washer does nothing but the timer counts down and no fault code? These ground switches? Can you tell me their exact location? Does the tech sheet say something about them and I missed it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Randero

Premium Member
Thank You Jake! I found it today when I removed the MCU. I completely removed the MCUfrom its protective shell and the board and components are pristine. I did the ohm reading and as suspected, spot on. I am going to put this unit back together including the bottom access panel and i will bet that the unit works with no problems. After replacing the lid switch which was the original problem I tested and troubleshot the unit without the front panel installed. Nowhere have I read or seen any information regarding these switches and without Jake mentioning them earlier, I would still be chasing my tail. I will again report my findings.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, yes let us know how it goes with the front access panel in place.

Jake

Randero

Premium Member
I put it back together same problem but......i dont see anyway that panel actuates the switch. I have to look tomorrow. The skeeters are viscous tonight.

Randero

Premium Member
I removed the front panel and there was no way that it actuated the ground switch . I think there is a part missing off the switch. i rolled up a piece of paper and taped it to the front of the switch which actuated it. I put the panel back on and ran the diagnostics. No motor movement and no error codes. It will add water and it will drain water. The stored error codes are F35 F20 F21 F21. I tried to run a normal load. There is no load sense, adds water, no movement of drum timer counts down, water drains and then timer stops with one second left and that is where it remains. I feel like I am overlooking the obvious. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Oh also I have tried to move the drum when it should be moving. There is slight electrical/magnetic resistance,
but can pretty easily move it in either direction.

RANDERO

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, you don't see a metal lever on the ground switch, look here:
Micro Switch WPW10085220

See the metal lever hanging down in that photo?

Jake

Randero

Premium Member
Thank you Jake, yes that metal piece is missing from this washer. To be absolutely sure that isn't the problem, I am going to pull the two wires from the switch and short them together and give it another try.

Randero

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

Randero

Premium Member
Nope problem still there and unchanged. I thought for sure that interlock would fix the issue with this washer and now that it has not I am not sure what to do next. I fix washers and dryers everyday and am not a quitter and I refuse to shotgun parts. Honestly, this one may just go to a parts machine. If i have missed or overlooked something please let me know. I really need this to be a working unit. I have the matching working dryer and would like to have this be a set to sell. A special thank you to Jake for all your help and insight.

Randero

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, Here's the tech. data sheet for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzvgAyLTSh14bG1OQXNQUm5TLTQ

One of the stored error codes was F35=ANALOG PRESSURE SENSOR FAILURE

If this failure is displayed, the Central Control Unit has detected a malfunction of the analog pressure sensor.

Possible Causes/Procedure
1. Check if pressure hose is fixed correctly and without holes or damage.
2. Make sure that the airtrap is not blocked.
3. Make sure that the hose is not blocked and no water is inside.

Here's the pressure switch for your model:
WPW10249845 Switch-Wl

Jake

Randero

Premium Member
The pressure switch was one of the first things I checked but I will certainly check it again. I now see that there is another interlock ground switch for the rear panel of the washer. I am going to check that also. Results to follow.....Thank you again Jake. Sorry this has been such a bugger

Randero

Premium Member
Checked pressure switch by removing hose from tub and blowing into it. Almost immediately the drain pump turns on and runs. So I think that is working correctly. I put a zip tie around rear ground interlock and ran diagnostics. Sill no motor turn and only error codes now are F20 and F21, so I am going to remove the pump and bench test it and check in and out hoses. I dont understand why there is no error code for that motor not turning.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

->Unplug your washer, Remove the wiring harness from the motor and verify 6 ohms between pins 1-2, 2-3, 1-3. Also verify 115 ohms between pins 4-5.

Here's the motor for your model:
WPW10140583 Motor

->Start a normal wash cycle and check voltage at the MCU, the L and N wires that go to your MCU should read 120 volts. Look on Page 15 of your tech. data sheet.

Jake