• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED DV17542 Blomberg dryer periodic creaking / squeaking sound

pjstock

Premium Member
Model Number
DV17542
Brand
-major brand-
I know you guys are not crazy about European makes but I suspect this is a generic dryer issue.
Our Blomberg DV17542 dryer is making sharp creaking / squeaking noises.
I recorded it in audio file (of it running empty).

interesting though, it only comes on after a certain period of time. This morning, to catch that recording, the first.... 2-3 minutes the d\yer just sounded normal. Only when I came back 30 minutes later and fired it up again did I notice the creak (though I had left the room while it was running so I don't know when the creaks actually kicked in)
in the record there is also a regular quieter creak you can hear. I expect these are related.

any ideas what to check?

Peter

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like rollers or idler pulley. If it has a rear bearing it could be that. It's something that's getting hot either from friction or something close to the element. When metal is heated it expands and the reason you don't hear it right away.

pjstock

Premium Member
Thanks Rick.
I popped some of the back panels off this morning to take a closer look.
with the heating system panel removed (so not the entire back panel) it stops squealing and then when I replace it (and the heating element glows hot again) the squeak returns.
Which makes sense given your assessment that it's metal heating up and expanding that causes the squeaks.
would then my primary suspect be that post that the drum rotates on? it is most immediately affected by heat (and that's where the squeak seems to come from.)

But if it's that center post/spindle, how would I tackle an overhaul/replacement?

otherwise, if I have to look further, Where would I find the rollers? on the front side of the unit? (I don't see or feel any rollers on the back side of the drum.)

(My motor by the way is on the back of hte unit. and the motor reverses direction every 15 seconds or so.)

Peter

Attachments

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
if it's that center post/spindle, how would I tackle an overhaul/replacement?
That's the problem but I've never heard of a "Bloomberg" so I'm afraid you're on your own.

pjstock

Premium Member
thanks anyway.

Blomberg. Turkish brand apparently. Meant to compete with other European makes like Miele, Bosch, etc.
they are sold here in Canada so someone must have access to parts.

and Taadaa! found on Ebay from the UK.

That was easy.

Peter
(I'll throw some pennies in the pot.)

Last edited:

pjstock

Premium Member
actually I ended up order the rear bearing and a set of 4 front bearings from a Montreal based distributor, Distinctive Appliances Inc. distinctive-online.com/

they seem to be specialized in odd ball brands. Here's their brand lineup, most of which I've never even heard of (Faber, and Falmec I"ve seen here and there.)
  • BERTAZZONI
  • BLOMBERG
  • CAVAVIN
  • CLEMENTI
  • COYOTE
  • FABER
  • FALMEC
  • FHIABA
  • FULGOR MILANO
  • HUEBSCH
  • LOUISIANA GRILLS
  • ZEPHYR
But Hey! they had the parts I needed for my Blomberg for not a lot of money ($7USD for the rear bearing, $2 USD for each of the front bearings).
what can I say? I';ve been SOL with bigger brand names for parts before..( though for older units I'll admit.)

and I was able to find a video on line showing how to disassemble a BEKO washer. Beko is also Turkish and seems to share a lot of parts and design with Blomberg.
(Short answer is, the front and sides of the cabinet are all one piece, welded but the drum pulls out the back of the unit to allow access to the bearings up front, around the door rim.)

Over and Out.

pjstock

Premium Member
Can I jump back in Rick?
Having disassembled the dryer, installed the new rear and front bearings (as best I can) and reassembling everthing, I seem to no longer have the Squeals but I have a new sound.
a quiet but distinct rythmic thrub thrub thrub. seems one thrub per rotation.

this is what it sounded like before I started messing with it (and before it got hot enough that the Squeal kicked in)

this is what it sounds like now:

sound familiar?
what do you think it might be? I must have messed up the reinstall somehow.