• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED DV218AEBXAC Samsung Dryer Motor will not turn

Mr-C

Premium Member
Model Number
DV218AEBXAC
Brand
Samsung
model number DV218AEBXAC

The panel shows that the dryer is in cycle, there are no error codes on the display,

I have continuity on the thermister. The door switch clicks and the belt tensioner switch clicks.

I can can probe the red and green wire at the motor and get 120V but the motor doesn't turn.

I can turn the motor by hand and it seems free.

The inside of the dryer had a lot of cat hair and lint.

I am thinking its a dead motor. What do you think?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

I have continuity on the thermister.
A thermistor is a variable resistor that changes value with temperature. At room temperature or 77°F your thermistor should have 10,000Ω resistance
The door switch clicks and the belt tensioner switch clicks.
Over the years I've seen many switches click and be bad. You need to check them for continuity with a meter. Always remove at least one wire from the component when checking.
I can can probe the red and green wire at the motor and get 120V
When you press the start switch you should have 120 VAC across the brown wire and the yellow wire on thye motor. Check the thermal fuse for continuity.

Mr-C

Premium Member
Thanks for the help.

Two questions:

1 - where is the thermister located? I be checking the wrong thing. I think its located in the duct heater at the very back?
2 - Where is the thermal fuse located?

Mr-C

Premium Member
I checked the brown and yellow wire and there was zero voltage.

I pulled the door switch and violet and white (two outside pins) had NC continuity. The white and Yellow\Blue wires (center pin) had NO continuity.

I am guessing that the thermostat is the center device (L260-50f). This device has continuity but shows only 0.4 ohms.

I am guessing that the back device in duct is the thermal fuse. This device has continuity.

I also pulled the broken belt switch and that seems to be working. - NC and pressing the switch opens the contacts.

I found the thermal fuse on the front side of the blower housing. This device has no continuity. - I think this may be the problem.

Last edited:

Mr-C

Premium Member
I pulled the thermistor from the blower housing - the back device. I am reading 10,810 ohms - my house is a little cooler than 77 - its closer to 71.

I noticed that light is also burnt out. Does this have any bearing?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member