• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED DV218AGB/XAA Samsung Dryer - IGNITOR LIGHTS GAS SHUTS OFF 5 SEC LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akeener345

Premium Member
Model Number
DV218AGB/XAA
Brand
Samsung
Hello everyone, thanks for having me. Having issues with my dryer. I found out flexible duct was bad for dryers so I decided to switch it to semi rigid duct. 4 in. Got everything together, now the dryer wont heat. I have good airflow out of the dryer but its not hot. The flame comes on for 5 seconds then shuts off. I believe I can hear the cycling thermostat turn it off. Can someone take me through the process of checking things. I am an

electrician, just not sure of the dryer process. I have the front of and the exhaust off. Will that impede the process? Thank you so much for all your help.

Kindly,
Adam

P.s. it all makes a noise every minute. I will try to attach it below. Sorry for the vid right in the middle.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Disconnect the vent hose from the machine and see if that makes a difference.

Akeener345

Premium Member
Disconnect the vent hose from the machine and see if that makes a difference.
Update: I temporarily put the door back on and it fired for 5 minutes each on 3 separate starts with wet clothes in, then quit firing each time. Put front back on and took off exhaust duct. Fired for 2 minutes, then quit firing.

Akeener345

Premium Member
I also changed the a few parts. Thermal fuse, thermistor, thermostat and ignitor. They all tested ok, but I found good prices and thought maybe it would do the trick.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, here's the deal; The machine must be completely assembled when testing. The reason is air flow. It works like this; Air is sucked in the open end of the flame housing, into the drum, across the lint screen, through the blower housing and out the exhaust vent. Without air flow the flame will just pile up on the thermostats and shut it off. If you want to get an idea of how it's working you don't want any clothes in it. Make sure the machine is completely assembled and empty (no clothes). Make sure the lint screen is clear. Set the dryer on on timed dry, about 40 minutes and select high heat. Start the machine and measure the temperature at the vent. If your meter can't measure temperatures, a meat thermometer will work.

Akeener345

Premium Member
Thanks for your, help so far, Rick. Forgive me for not saying it was nice to meet you. I did as you instructed, I also removed the vent from the back. It got to 160 degrees with a meat thermometer for 5 minutes. At the 5 minute mark, the flame shut off and it cooled to 110 degrees. It then made the same noise again.

Also, I lint screen was clear and I removed any clothes.

rickgburton

Staff member

Akeener345

Premium Member
Hi Rick,
It seems to be coming from that general area near the burner. I can't say for certain though. On my video above, it starts around the 4 second mark before my daughter says "Dad" and continues till something clicks at the 17 sec mark. In any event, after I get that noise, which almost sounds like a rattle, it won't heat again til I let it sit for a while. It will make that noise for 15 seconds with 45 seconds between. It almost reminds me of a contactor that won't quite pick up if that makes sense.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, it sounds like a problem with the gas valve assembly:

Akeener345

Premium Member
Ok, Rick thank you. What can you tell me that led you to this fix? Trying to understand as much as I can.

Thank you,
Adam

P.S. Should I replace the coils first then see if it works, or is it better to just replace the whole assemply?

rickgburton

Staff member
Usually when the coils go out it doesn't make a noise. Samsung doesn't offer the coils separately but the whirlpool coils will work if you want to try that first.

Akeener345

Premium Member
Hi, Rick. Its been tough sledding here for life reasons. I got the new one in and it fixed the issue. I just did the whole shebang (valve and coils). Now, when I first started it, I got a heavy gas smell, but no flame. I shut it off, then restarted. Has worked perfectly through 2 cycles. Was at 170f through ten minutes of drying and still climbing. I put the duct back on and its been cycling through heating cycles like it should. No more weird noise either. Not a whiff of gas what so ever. Thank you very,very,much for your knowledge and time.

Kindly,
Adam

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.