FIXED DV42H5000EW Samsung Dryer intermittently overheats with HE

banner

Premium Member
Model Number
DV42H5000EW
Brand
Samsung
Been experiencing intermittent HE errors on a four year old Samsung DV42H5000EW dryer.

Samsung Dryer intermittently overheats with HE - acts like a grounded heater element - but isn't !

[[ I went back a few months on this forum and didn't see any solutions. Please forgive me if this question has been asked before... ]]

The first time it happened was a few months back. Noticed I had heat even on the air dry cycle. I suspected a grounded heater element.

Opened up the front of the dryer for the first time ( unplugging it first, of course ) and checked continuity across the heating element ( good ) and checked it see if there was any continuity from either heater terminal to ground - there wasn't.

Put the unit back together, plugged it back in and the problem was gone. We had had some electrical storms recently so I thought perhaps the unplugging had reset some strange control board problem, stuck relay, whatever.

Last week the dryer would not heat. Heater element had broken ( but not shorted to the case ). Bought and installed an OEM Samsung complete heater unit ( with thermostat and thermistor ). Dryer was working again, but I noticed it seemed to be hotter than before ( and by putting my hand on the side of the unit is seemed very hot, almost too hot to touch ).

Checked the vent, pipe and around the lint trap - all clean.

Now it is throwing HE errors again randomly and sometimes I have heat on the air dry setting. Running the dryer at medium settings seemed to make it better for a time.

I suspect that the control board is fried in some strange way and that caused the original failure of the heater element. Either that or the new heater unit is touching ground once it heats up, however it is a completely new unit, so I don't think that's likely.

Is there a ( safe ) way to check the control board or relay ? What else should I be checking ? Wire harnesses for shorts ?

Thanks for any help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, the problem is the main control board making that heating element stay on when it shouldn't be on.

The main board is located on the left side, you can order it here:
DC92-01596D Assy Holder Pcb

Unplug your dryer before replacing it.:)

Jake

banner

Premium Member
Yes, the problem is the main control board making that heating element stay on when it shouldn't be on.
Thanks for the quick reply and confirmation of my pseudo-diagnosis :D. I'll order the part ( locally, unfortunately I'm not in the US ). I'll update this thread with the results...!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, yes keep us posted.:)

Jake

banner

Premium Member
A new circuit board seems to have cured the problem -- HE errors haven't returned after several weeks of use and using the auto dry moisture settings work again. As well, the couple of times I checked the dryer is not heating on air dry settings or at at the end of a cycle, as expected.

A further question though: how hot should the side of the dryer feel to the touch when operating at high temperature setting ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new control board fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

A further question though: how hot should the side of the dryer feel to the touch when operating at high temperature setting ?
It shouldn't be extremely hot, make sure your vent exhaust coming out the back of the dryer is clear and clean of all lint, and I always go outside to check the exhaust exit there too and clean the excess lint out that builds up overtime.

I can mark it FIXED for you.

Jake