• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

DV42H5200EW/A3 Samsung Dryer Cycling Too Hot

Kmpcfp

Premium Member
Model Number
DV42H5200EW/A3
Brand
Samsung
My dryer has been having issues on and off for the past 2+ years (it's a 6 year old dryer). About two years ago, the element cracked and high limit thermostat blew. We replaced the heating element, the high temp cut-off thermostat, cycling thermostat, and thermistor as well as giving a thorough cleaning to everything imaginable. Less than a month later, it again tripped the high limit thermostat and that heating coil cracked so we replaced everything again.

We have been running it on low and/or extra low heat since then (about 2 years)

Fast forward to now. I have noticed the dryer is getting pretty hot to the touch. We use a timed dry setting at extra low heat, but the cabinet box gets too hot to the touch. Inside the cabinet next to the side vented duct and heater assembly, it is cycling between 145 and almost 190 when wet clothes are in the dryer. That seems really hot, especially for the extra low setting. Could it be the cycling thermostat or thermistor? Could it partially be due to worn out felt seals and a slightly uneven blower wheel? Or could it be the control panel? Combination of the above? I cleaned out all the vent lines and blower assembly but it is definitely still running hot.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 20210225_162225.jpg
    20210225_162225.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 14

Kmpcfp

Premium Member
It seems that the problem is intermittent/erratic. I just ran another load with the exact same settings and the temperature was rising from 120 to 150, then back down to 100 where it sat for a few minutes until I stopped watching the temperature.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its possibly the thermistor.

--->Unplug the dryer, measure the thermistor resistance using a multimeter. You should measure around 10,000 ohms of resistance at room temperature. Replace the thermistor if resistance is off.

Here's the thermistor for your model:
DC32-00007A Dryer Thermistor
samsung-dryer-thermistor-dc32-00007a-ap4201716_01_m.jpg

There is a video in the thermistor part link that shows you how to access it.

Jake

Kmpcfp

Premium Member
I replaced the thermistor anyway, measured both the new and old thermistor and they were the same ohm reading (about 10,000) at room temp. Still having an intermittent "too hot" problem.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then it must be a vent restriction, that's all it can be now.

Pull the dryer out from the wall, then take off the exhaust hose from the back of the dryer and take the temperature from inside of the dryer, make sure no clothes are in it when you do that.

This Multimeter reads temperature, it comes with a probe you put in the dryer door. Just open the dryer door and insert the probe, then close the door and run the dryer with NO CLOTHES in it, and watch the meter. Don't put the probe to far in or it will be hitting the drum as it turns.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that would cause it to overheat too, I wasn't aware your heating element was not cycling OFF and ON like its suppose to do throughout the dry cycle

Here's the control board for your model, with the heater relay on it:
DC92-00669Y PCB

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait, @Markgsm456 you are a different person!

I thought I was replying to the OP, Mark please don't jump into threads I'm helping folks with, that messes me up.

Jake

Kmpcfp

Premium Member
The heater is cycling off and on, but on some loads it is running way too hot and doesn't seem to turn off when it should. On other loads it runs seemingly fine. The too-hot loads seem more common than normal temperature loads. I always use extra low timed dry at 40 minute cycle. If I run it on any other temperature I think it may trip the hi-temp. It doesn't seem to matter what is in the dryer or how many loads it has ran.

Some loads I get like an annoying metallic grinding/vibrating noise from the blower/motor area. It's only on some loads and usually not the whole cycle. Sometimes it stops if I smack the bottom left front of the dryer, sometimes it doesn't. Also I notice the air flow seems like it varies, but not necessarily at the time the metallic noise is happening.

The dryer vent flaps outside open up without issue and there is minimal reduction of airflow at the outside discharge. There is plenty of air space around the dryer.

Sorry I am trying to give more potential symptoms because there is not any air flow restriction outside the dryer, itself (still ran hot on some loads with no venting attached).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You will need to contact Samsung to come out. I have no clue why this is happening.

Start Reading post #23 and onward here:

Jake