• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED DV42H5200EW Samsung dryer - seems like it has no power

taddmc

Premium Member
Model Number
DV42H5200EW
Brand
Samsung
I have a Samsung dryer model DV42H5200EW/A3 that stopped running about 2 minutes into the cycle. It acts like it has no power to it at all but I have checked and I have power from the breaker all the way to the control board. And there is power from the control board to the display. I have checked the thermal fuse, the door switch, the thermistor. Everything is good. I thought the control board was bad so I bought another one and changed it out. Still same issue. I checked the power button and the start button on the display board and they both have continuity. Is there anything else I can check on the display? Is it possible the display is bad?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

that stopped running about 2 minutes into the cycle

And then what?
Can the dryer be restarted? Can the dryer be restarted after a while? Can the dryer be restarted the next day?
Display, everything goes off?...or just the dryer motor stops?

jeff.

taddmc

Premium Member
When it shut off, it has never come back on. The dryer is just dead almost like it is unplugged. Even the drum light doesn't come on when you open the door.

jeff1

Staff member
I have checked and I have power from the breaker all the way to the control board
The dryer is just dead almost like it is unplugged. Even the drum light doesn't come on when you open the door.

I'd double check the neutral/white. We can have line but no power if the white is loose/burnt somewhere.

jeff.

taddmc

Premium Member
I checked the wiring it looks ok. Nothing is loose or looks burnt. Even though the power cord tested ok coming out of the receptacle, could it still be bad? It is the same cord I have used for the last 15 years.

jeff1

Staff member
How are you testing the power? With a meter and not a light stick? What where the readings? Checked right away as soon as the dryer quits/stops?

I checked the wiring it looks ok. Nothing is loose or looks burnt.

All the way from the dryer through the cord, outlet and to the house fuse box?

jeff.

taddmc

Premium Member
I am using a multimeter. The breakers checked out with about 119 on each 30amp breaker and 238-239 across both. I went ahead and replaced them because they were 20 years old. The outlet also has 118-119 on each leg and 238-239 overall. The cord where it connects to the dryer also measures same voltage as everything else. I did not get up in the attic and check the wiring between the fuse box and the outlet. I am not even sure how to do that. I know just enough about electricity to be dangerous to myself.
I couldn't check the dryer when it first shut down as I wasn't home. My wife called to tell me it quit. So it was at least 2 hours before I started tearing into it. I am stumped. I don't know where to go next short of starting to replace switches and fuses although I checked for continuity on everything and it all tested good.

Tom

jeff1

Staff member
I couldn't check the dryer when it first shut down as I wasn't home

That's the place to start. Let it run, quit and then check the power static and with a load as a good place to start when the problem is occurring.
Double check what is and is not on/working and we will go from there.

jeff.

taddmc

Premium Member
Nothing works.. That is the problem. When it quit it has never started. It doesn't run at all right now.

jeff1

Staff member
that stopped running about 2 minutes into the cycle

Nothing works.. That is the problem

It doesn't run the 2 minutes any more?

Check the power ( red to black, red to white, black to white ) at the back of the dryer. Have someone push/hold the start button and retest the same ( red to black, red to white, black to white ).

I have checked the thermal fuse, the door switch, the thermistor.

Thermistor is for heat only. Checking the door switch is a good idea. Checking the thermal fuse is a good idea, which fuse did you check? Check the belt broken switch.

I have checked and I have power from the breaker all the way to the control board

*If* everything else checks ok, try a new board.

jeff.

taddmc

Premium Member
So it ended up being the display board that was bad. Ordered it, delivered today and dryer is up and running again. Wife is happy. Thanks for your help and suggestions. I learned a little bit about dryers and electricity.
Tom