• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

DV42H5200EWA3 Samsung Dryer - Any solution yet for blown thermal cutoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twentw

Premium Member
Model Number
DV42H5200EWA3
Brand
Samsung
My dryer has blown 4 thermal cutoffs in the last week. Reading the comments here it seems to be a common issue. At this point I’m just running the dryer on medium heat as a temporary fix. But has anyone been able to figure out the reason for this problem?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL, That's the exact same problem I had a couple years ago in Quartzsite, Arizona!

Here's that thread:
Medium heat prevents them from blowing out. That may seem like a bandaid fix, but until Samsung tells us the REAL FIX, then that's all we can do for now.

Jake

twentw

Premium Member
I spoke too soon. Running on medium heat still blows the thermal fuse. Is there another reason it may be blowing? Maybe a bad control board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If your exhaust vent is clean and clear, then I don't have a clue, sorry.

Hopefully another tech. or member can shed some light on this.

Jake

twentw

Premium Member
Everything points to the heater getting too hot - 4 burned out thermal fuses, one burned out thermostat, and several burned wires going to the heater. In a typical dryer, how does the temperature get regulated? Does the element go on and off, or does it change temperature by changing the voltage?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You may have a grounded heating element, set your dryer on AIR FLUFF/NO HEAT and start it(WITH NO CLOTHES IN IT) and let it run a couple minutes and open the door and see if its hot inside the drum.

If it is heating during AIR FLUFF/NO HEAT, what I always do is, unplug the dryer then ohm test the both heating element terminal ends to ground, if you get continuity on either to ground, then that's the cause, you would need to replace the element.

Here's the heating element for your model:
Heating Element DC47-00019A

How to access video in part link.

Make sure you unplug the dryer first before accessing it and ohm testing it.

Jake

twentw

Premium Member
At this point I’ve tested everything. The heating element is fine and not shorting. The thermistor, thermostat and high limit thermostat are fine. It’s only the thermal fuse mounted on the heater that keeps blowing. I’ve measured the temperature at the exhaust on time dry and I’m not seeing any dangerously high temperatures (over 180F). So at this point I’m just bypassing the thermal fuse and running it on time dry medium heat. Hopefully in the event of a problem the other thermostats will kick in and prevent a fire.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, but just be very careful if you leave that thermal fuse by-passed, never leave home while the dryer is running.

You may also run into liability issues when you leave that thermal fuse by-passed and you can't sue Samsung if your house catches fire, and your homeowners insurance might not even cover you if they found out you purposely by-passed it.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.