• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED DV448AEP/XAA Samsung dryer turning off before set time runs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanWinchester

Premium Member
Model Number
DV448AEP/XAA
Brand
Samsung
Samsun Dryer Model No. DV448AEP/XAA

I've been working on this dandy off and on for over a month now and decided its time to look outside the box for help, which brings me to this fine community. Though I found a few threads on similar problems, I wasn't able to find any that I felt described my situation.

The Story: Roughly 4 months ago our dryer began not heating. Then it started shutting off before its time was due (on timed dry and auto sensing cycles). I thought it might have something to do with the heating fuse/regulator/heating element so I tested the regulator and fuse which both had a current, checked the heating element coil and it was broke so I replaced it. Now the dryer is heating fine but quitting before the cycle is complete (auto sense and time dry). I completed all the easy steps first (cleaning out dryer vent hose/using lint lizard on the inside vent of dryer/cleaning out vent inside wall/washed lint catcher w/soap and water).

Current Situation: I set time dry to 40 minutes on varying heat temperatures and time how long the dryer lasts before turning off and its anywhere from 5-20 minutes. When the dryer turns off, I'm able to hit the power button and re-start it immediately. My next step is comparing how easy the drum spins relative to new models at the store to see if its a possibility that the drum is too hard for the motor to spin and making it overheat. After this I'm not really sure in which direction to go other than replacing circuit board, motor, or drum rollers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Dean,

Usually when that happens on these Samsung models, its the motor that's bad. Make sure you unplug your dryer before replacing it.

Here's the motor for your model you can order:
DC31-00055D Induction Dryer Motor

This video shows you "how to" replace it:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

DeanWinchester

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for your reply! I took the dryer apart and I've been messing around with the motor. The blower fan spins fine and the motor has continuity if that matters. I was reading up on the centrifugal switch? Are there any tests you would recommend in order to see if the motor is actually bad or is it just one of those things you gotta do and find out and see?

Thanks!

Dean

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Are there any tests you would recommend in order to see if the motor is actually bad or is it just one of those things you gotta do and find out and see?
Unfortunately not Dean.

This problem is very Samsung specific, most of the time the motor runs 5 seconds then quits, but yours is running 5 minutes then quits.

Start a cycle on AIR FLUFF/ NO HEAT and see if it runs all the way through on TIMED DRY without the dryer stopping.

Jake

DeanWinchester

Premium Member
I've tried it all all settings possible. They all run out within the same given time. Waiting for the new motor to get here and replace and see what happens! Thanks Jake! Much appreciated. I'll let you know what happens soon.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Dean, sounds good, yes keep us posted.

Jake

DeanWinchester

Premium Member
Just got done replacing the motor and made it through an entire timed dry cycle on high heat. I'm thinking that must have been it! Thanks Jake, I probably would have been replacing the drum rollers and looking into circuit boards before I would have gone and replaced the motor. You saved me quite a bit of headache.

Thanks again,

Dean

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Dean, glad to hear the new motor fixed it. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.