• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

DW80K5050 Samsung Dishwasher middle spray arm not spinning

Mairey B

Premium Member
Model Number
DW80K5050
Brand
Samsung
Hello! We have had this dishwasher for 1.5 years. From the start, it was leaving food debris on "clean" glasses. The mesh screen/filter visible in the basin looked very dirty, so I removed it and cleaned it a few days ago. Since replacing it, the top rack dishes have not been getting clean at all.

Looking inside during a cycle, I have seen that water is slowly coming out of the middle arm but it is not spinning, so I believe there is not enough water pressure to the middle spray arm. I removed the spray arm and pulled out a few small clogs, but with no improvement.

Reading on here, it sounds like maybe there is something clogged deeper in the base? I removed the top mesh filter again, and the storm wash arm, and the large gray plastic dish. Here is where I am now. I'm not sure how to get the next screw out. Should I just stop here and call for a repair? Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• Dishwasher.jpg
    Dishwasher.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 32

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Should I just stop here and call for a repair?
Yes, because I could not locate the service manual for this model.

Jake

Mairey B

Premium Member
I was able to get the last screw out, take out the water impeller, and clean out the filter under the food chopper, then replace everything and ran it again with no improvement. Just rinsed out the upper spray arms again and trying to run it with the top rack lower down.

The correct model number is actually DW80K5050US, if that helps

Thanks for your reply

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is the water level coming up to normal after it fills with water? Normal is usually a little above the sump assembly.

You can also check the water feed tube to see if its clogged, that carries water up to the upper spray arms.

Here it is for your model, when you click the part link to it you will see a video on how to remove it:

If its putting enough water in and the water feed tube is not clogged, then it's possibly a problem in your pump/motor assembly.

Here's the pump/motor assembly for your model:
That is a expensive part, so you may want to confirm that with a local tech before you buy it, I'm not that familiar with Samsung Dishwasher models, they are not popular in my area of Western Arizona.

Most folks here buy Whirlpool, KitchenAid, and Maytag Dishwashers, and I know those inside and out.:)

Jake

the.dish.king

Premium Member
This is quite an old thread, but hopefully this helps the next person. I had this model, and ended up with this same problem. After some close inspection I decided that after many times taking the mesh screen and sump housing off, that I had warped it (along with stripping the screw holes) and it didn't line up nice anymore with the chute around the impeller, allowing water to escape the sides of the sump. Also, I had mistakenly one time put a long screw into the storm wash screw hole, putting a hole in it!

I would suggest that if you can watch it run, see if water is shooting out the sides of the sump housing. I found that mine was. After that, it would be a replacement of the warped bit.

Either that, or if there is a loud grinding noise when it is running, then a bearing could be shot in the circulation pump motor, which is fixable for $1 (I've done it!).

I ended up buying a used broken dishwasher for $25 and fixing it up rather than go all out for the DW80K.

Hope this helps!