• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

DWXR483GB1 GE Profile Gas Dryer clothes do not fully dry

Rickey

Premium Member
Model Number
DWXR483GB1
Brand
GE
My GE Profile Gas Dryer works, but the clothes do not fully dry with one cycle on auto dry, medium heat. It's 14.5 yrs. old. What should I look it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Rickey,

If the flame is lazy and not strong, it will overheat the hi-limit thermostat and cut off the flame prematurely, thus it takes too long to dry. So first pull your dryer away from the wall, and take off your exhaust hose from the back of your dryer, then run it with no clothes in it and see if the flame stays on longer to make it hotter.

Also you'll need a thermometer to take its temperature, With the dryer on high heat, the temperature inside the dryer should be between 120*F to 190*F. When you first start the dryer from a cold start it should get up to about 190*F, then the cycling thermostat tells the flame to turn OFF, and the temperature should drop to about 120*F. Then keep repeating that cycling process.

My multimeter reads temperature, it comes with a probe you put in the dryer door. Just open the dryer door and insert the probe, then close the door and run the dryer and watch the meter. Don't put the probe to far in or it will be hitting the drum as it turns.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Rickey

Premium Member
Thanks Jake I plan to pull the dryer away and release the dryer exhaust hose. I will also check if there anything clogging the hose. I just cannot do it real soon. (PS I am still monitoring my GE refrigerator defrost situation.)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Rickey, sounds good.

Jake

Rickey

Premium Member
Hi I have not posted here for awhile. My gas dryer described above still works, and I never got around to checking the exhaust hose. However, in the last two weeks it has started to make a continuous louder noise than before, but oddly enough it dries better than before; no more damp clothes. I know that it is probably on its last days, and I will probably keep it until it expires.

My question is if the dryer goes, should I also replace the washer which still works and is also 15 years old at the same time. Any recommendation?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It depends, if your single and don't care if you break the matching set, if you have a matching set already, then no don't replace the washer, if your married and your wife needs a matching set, then yes replace the washer as well.

Jake

Rickey

Premium Member
Thanks for your reply. It made me check the measurements of my old dryer against the specifications of the new available machines. The new models are 2” higher and 1” deeper 😕