• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

E-15 code on Bosch SHX68T55UC/07 cleared, but I'm still getting water and it retrips

bibsoconner

Premium Member
Model Number
SHX68T55UC/07
Brand
Bosch
I have a Bosch dishwasher approximately 3 1/2 years old. Full Disclosure; I ran out of dishwasher tablets and used a "Google Recipe" of 6 drops liquid soap and some baking soda. Did this about 4 nights and then got to store for proper dishwasher tablets. A couple of loads after that I got E-15 code. Sure enough, there was water in the bottom that had lifted float sensor and tripped the switch. I cleaned up all the water and ran it again. It went about 2 or 3 loads and then the same thing. I've tried putting vinegar through it, and run more loads (to clear out any residual liquid soap) and I'm still getting E-15. I've also cleaned out the filter that you can remove easily from the bottom of the dish compartment.

The thing that's frustrating is that it's very hard to see where the water is coming from. Perhaps from the bottom of the pump mechanism or possibly from the overflow channel and getting to the bottom somehow. I've put it on 9 minute rinses and it's hard to spot where/when it comes in. When it does, it's near the flood sensor and the insulation near the back right bottom gets wet (maybe from wicking?). When the code comes up, the cycle stops, but you hear a pump going off intermittently like it's trying to drain water out. But there doesn't appear to be water at the bottom of the dishes area, just in the lower electronics section so I'm not sure why I'm hearing it.

1. I read that cleaning the filter and drainage tubes is important (in case of particles stuck). Can someone elaborate on how to do this? I took out the filter from the bottom of the dishes section and cleaned thoroughly. It's not clear to me what other filters I can get to. I'm posting a picture that shows what it looks like with filter removed and a few screws. It's not clear how to get the next piece out. Perhaps from bottom? What do folks mean by the drainage tube? Just the part going from dishwasher to garbage disposal? Or are there interior drain tubes?

2. I show a picture of what I think might be the overflow valve in the dishes compartment of the dishwasher. It's on the left side about 1/2 way up. Is this what it is? And where in the under part does it drain to? Why would it suddenly be reaching the overflow?

3. Any other ideas?

Please let me know if I can provide more information or pictures. I hate to junk an ~$800 dishwasher after 3 1/2 years but I might do just that. I'm told the repair visit could be ~$500. For that price, I think I'd go out and buy a cheaper brand. I'm certainly not impressed with Bosch right now.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• Drain.jpg
    Drain.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 182
  • MaybeOverflow.jpg
    MaybeOverflow.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 180

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, Rick and I don't work on Bosch Dishwashers, but I did locate this:

Wash cycle abruptly stops, dishwasher drains intermittently, Sanitized LED flashes and E:15 shows on display. Check float switch. Water in base activated float switch and dishwasher can’t be shut off.

--->Turn power OFF to the dishwasher at the home breaker box for at least 30 minutes, then restore power after servicing.
--->Remove debris / obstructions from drain pump / drain hose. Remove water from base.
--->Make sure float & float switch aren't stuck.
--->Make sure water inlet valve isn't stuck "open". Check inlet hoses for leaks. Remove water from base.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

bibsoconner

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, I've tried all of that, except perhaps there is debris stuck somewhere other than the filter at base of dishes compartment that is easily removable. I did remove that and scrub it completely. I think if the inlet vale was stuck open, I'd be continuously having water come in right? I've let it sit for several hours without operating it and no water comes in.

Thanks,
Dave

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I think if the inlet vale was stuck open, I'd be continuously having water come in right?
Correct Dave!

Did you turn the breaker OFF to the dishwasher for at least 30 minutes? Try leaving the breaker OFF to your dishwasher for hours or even overnight and see if that E15 goes away for good.

Jake

bibsoconner

Premium Member
Jake, Thanks again, but yes I've left the breaker off overnight multiple times. It's off right now. Can you tell me if my picture is of the overflow? It's about 1/2 way up on the left side. And where does the overflow go in the under pan (where the electronics are). Also, how does one clean the drain hose assembly? I've cleaned the readily accessible filter (it wasn't that gunked up) but presumably there are part of the drain hose inside the dishwasher. Could a partially blocked drain hose cause water to get high enough to go into overflow and fill the lower compartment?
Thanks!
Dave

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Like I mentioned above Dave, I don't work on Bosch Dishwashers, hopefully another tech. that does can assist you with those questions.

I was just giving you what to do for the E15 and if that didn't fix it, then its best to have Bosch come out to see what's going on.

Jake