EAC-51-1 Whirlpool ice system no voltage to water solenoid

Rigz38

Premium Member
Model Number
EAC-51-1
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello all! I have an oldy but goody whirlpool ice system eac-51-1. It makes great ice (or did) I have replaced the water inlet solenoid a couple of times. I noticed water pump making a noise and was empty so I figured it was time to replace valve again. Well after changing valve and it still not working I checked voltage to the valve and I'm getting 3 volts. I am stumped on where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
OK, 40 years old and uses R12. I'm not going to find a wiring schematic. Do you still have yours Rigz? Can you post a copy here?

Rigz38

Premium Member
It has some connections I'm not familiar with on wiring. I have attached a few pictures. I'm a nh3 tech so experienced on refrigeration cycle on a large scale but not so much with this ice machine.

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member
Looks like you need to check the evaporator thermostat for continuity. Those just look like splice connections in your picture.

Rigz38

Premium Member
Looks like you need to check the evaporator thermostat for continuity. Those just look like splice connections in your picture.
Rick, not quite sure how to go about checking it. I do have a meter. The copper line (assuming evap thermostat line?) Going to evap has corrosion. What is the correct procedure to check it with meter?

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member
Your pictures are too close and I can't make out the parts. The water valve needs 120 VAC to open. One side of the water valve coil is Neutral, the other side is L1. The neutral side of the coil is connected to the neutral side of the power cord. The L1 (hot) side or circuit path is from the power cord to the on off switch to the bin thermostat (A) to the evaporator thermostat (B) through the evaporator t-stat to the water valve coil.
Snapshot_1.jpg

So follow the L1 wire on the water valve coil back to a splice with one wire going to the hot gas solenoid and the other wire going to the evaporator thermostat. The way it is in the wiring diagram the evap t-stat is open to the water valve and closed to the compressor, the condensor fan motor and water pump. When the evap t-stat gets cold enough it opens the circuit to the fan motor and water pump and both turn off. It closes the circuit to the water valve and hot gas solenoid and both turn on.

Last edited: