• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Eaton Viking Dryer / ED212W479 Loud Metal Grinding Noise

tonynothandy

Premium Member
Model Number
ED212W479
Hello,
I have an Eaton Viking Dryer from Canada, model number ED212W479. I think it is manufactured by GE. It has loud metal grinding noise when the drum is turning. The metal sound is very loud and nonstop when the drum is turning.

I have replaced the 4 front glides, 2 white, 2 green but the sound remains. After I first repair, the sound remains. Then I open the dryer to check and moved the drum. The sound stops after multiple starts. I moved the dryer back to the original location when it usually stays, the sound starts again.

I have attached a short video showing the sound and the newly replaced glide. I have checked the rear drum sleeve and looks good.

Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

GE Dryer Inside 2 Out.jpg
GE Dryer Inside 1 Out.jpg

Video with noise

Video showing drum glide

tonynothandy

Premium Member
Thank you for your quick response.

I did a little more investigation. I checked the blower blade, all blades are in place, no lint or any material trapped.

I ran the motor without the drum. No sound on the blower or the motor and the movement is fine.

I thought it could be a worn out pulley wheel, so I change to a new one but no luck. The belt looks good. No visual sign of significant worn.

When I check the bottom of the dryer, I found couple pieces of plastics (see attached photo). Seems like it is fallen from the foam between the motor and the metal bracket securing the motor. I shake the motor and seems like it could be moved when the belt is on. Is it possible the motor shaft touching the bracket when turning on?

I attached a video of how easy the motor can be shake. Is there any way to add a foam or securing the motor to the front bracket? Any help is appreciated.

GE Dryer Motor Plastic 1 out.jpg

GE Dryer Worn 1 out.jpg

Noise when running with top open

Motor can move easily when pushing front

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That motor mount is the problem and only comes with the motor. The belt tension is pulling the motor shaft up and the blower wheel is hitting the blower housing. I can't look that model up and give you a part link. It is a GE motor.