ED20TKXDW02 Knocking Noise & Some frost build up

Jim0101

Premium Member
Model Number
ED20TKXDW02
Brand
Whirlpool
21 year old side by side, came w/ the house. two issues:

1. on the bottom vegetable drawer, at the front of the left slide rail there has been some frost build up making it difficult to open the drawer.

2. there is a moderately strong knocking sound that comes from the frig mostly when the compressor cycles on and off. also sometimes happens when compressor is just running.

I plan to buy some parts to have handy given the age of the frig but have been told not to worry about the compressor as it rarely goes bad? is that so? how difficult would it be to replace a compressor? would i need freon (or whatever gas is used)?

PS. yesterday we thought we had a failing frig as the temp in the frig section was getting very warm so we moved everything out. then the temp got really cold again.... this morning I noticed that we were likely blocking the cold air vent into the frig section! :eek:

TIA,

Jim

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Start shopping

this morning I noticed that we were likely blocking the cold air vent into the frig section!
The frost you're seeing is likely where another vent to the freezer section is. Why frost is forming there i don't know. It would have to be investigated. Maybe its related to the other vent being blocked? Maybe there's a problem on the freezer side?

there is a moderately strong knocking sound that comes from the frig mostly when the compressor cycles on and off.
That is often the result of worn suspension of the interior compressor components. The only other likely possibility is the connecting tubing rubbing against something. Maybe something fell behind the fridge and is touching one of the tubes or compressor?

have been told not to worry about the compressor as it rarely goes bad?
Compressors do go bad in that fashion and if the noise is internal to the compressor, there's nothing you can do about it besides replace the compressor. It could still last years like that but it is a sign of impending failure. You'll have to put up with it while shopping for a new refrigerator. It's best to be prepared for the inevitable.

how difficult would it be to replace a compressor?
For you, impossible. For a trained service technician with the proper tools and knowledge, it's a big job but rarely worthwhile. A compressor is $150-$250+ with $100-$200 labour on top of that.

JMO

Dan O.