ED25PQXFW01 Whirlpool side by side freezer top warm, fridge side not cold

Barb B

Premium Member
Model Number
ED25PQXFW01
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi All,

I have a Whirlpool side by side model ED25PQXFW01 that was made 9/98. I started having problems with it and need some help. The freezer side is cold in the middle, warm on top shelves and ice in the bottom (ice maker not in use). The fridge side has no air blowing into it, warm on top shelves and cool in the middle/lower section. I've taken off the grill on the bottom front and cleaned the coils from the front. I took off the cover inside the freezer and there is ice on the upper part of the coils.

The fan turns easily by hand, will spin for a few seconds, it feels like the motor wants to work but doesn't. I've run hot water through the freezer drain but since I still have ice in the bottom I haven't gotten the drain line opened up yet.

Freezer coils top detail pic.jpg Freezer coils.jpg

Any suggestions as to what to do/try first would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a meter but my friend does and he's coming to visit this weekend. I'm really hoping you (the gods of appliance repair) can help me fix it since I'm about as broke as you can get right now.

Thanks in advance,
Barb

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Is that evaporator fan motor running when the compressor is running?....it should....if it is not the fan motor itself may be bad.

Evaporator-Fan-Motor-4389144-01886904.jpg Refrigerator evaporator fan motor. The evaporator fan motor draws air over the evaporator (cooling) coils and circulates the cold air through the refrigerator and freezer compartments

Your refrigerator is also showing it's age....second picture shows the beginning of the frost pattern as regular heavy but that fades out weak at the other end of the evaporator as the frost is very thin....refrigerator is getting weak as it gets older.

jeff.

Barb B

Premium Member
Hi Jeff,

Thanks, so if the I can turn the fan easily by hand it's most likely the motor that's gone bad? Do you think the motor not working could have anything to do with the frost pattern? Should the frost be the same from top to bottom as it is at the top now? I'm thinking I'm going to pull it out this weekend, unplug it and clean it from the back, couldn't hurt, right?

Hopefully replacing the motor will buy me some time to get some money together for another one.

Thanks again,
Barbara

jeff1

Staff member
so if the I can turn the fan easily by hand it's most likely the motor that's gone bad?
None what so ever.
NOT running when it should be running is possible the motor that's gone bad.

Do you think the motor not working could have anything to do with the frost pattern?
Some....but it looks more like an age thing to me.

Should the frost be the same from top to bottom as it is at the top now?
That would be better yes.

I'm thinking I'm going to pull it out this weekend, unplug it and clean it from the back, couldn't hurt, right?
That is a good idea as well.

Hopefully replacing the motor will buy me some time to get some money together for another one.
With any luck it should yes.

jeff.

Barb B

Premium Member
Thanks, I ordered the fan motor and it's supposed to be here Friday. I'll tackle as quickly as I can, fingers crossed. I'll post an update once I've installed the new motor.

Barb B

Premium Member
Sorry for the delay in posting a reply, life you know, lol.

I pulled the fridge out, unplugged it and after arguing with the screws got the lower back panel off and the coils underneath were clean. I figure when I cleaned them from the front I got lucky and got all the dust then. It took a minute to convince the electrical connections on the motor to come off and got the new motor installed. I plugged it in before moving it back and the fan started running! I was able to get the drain tube clear of ice but I'm going to keep a closer eye on it since it doesn't look like the most trustworthy design. I've attached a photo of the frost pattern now that the fan has been running for about 20 hours. I have cold air coming into the fridge and the water bottles I put on the top freezer shelf are solid.

Freezer after new fan motor.jpg

Thanks for your help in all this!

jeff1

Staff member
That is much better...not perfect but much better!
Good job.

jeff.

Barb B

Premium Member
Thanks, I had the freezer control on the coldest setting until midday today and the photo was from early this evening. I turned it down one setting thinking I didn't want to keep pushing it to run hard. I was glad to see frost from top to bottom, hopefully I'll be good for awhile.

jeff1

Staff member
It is a little thicker on top than on the bottom....but that is just the age thing we where talking about.

jeff.

Barb B

Premium Member
Whirlpool ED25PQXFW01 making weird noise after replacing fan motor

I replaced the fan motor in the freezer yesterday, made sure the underside was clean and everything was fine until 2 am. I woke up to my freezer making a weird noise. The food in the freezer is still frozen and I can feel cold air coming into the fridge side. The noise stops and starts and the length of time is less than last night.

It doesn't make the noise for the same duration or at any particular interval. It might do it once or it might do it three times in a row. It sounds like it's coming from the lower left rear of the freezer as I'm standing in front. When I took off the lower back cover (cardboard type piece with insulation attached) everything looked ok, wiring looked ok and I wiped the little bit of dust off the metal fan which turned easily.

I have the water to the icemaker hooked up but the water is off. I checked to be sure I hadn't put the icemaker lever down in the on position, thinking maybe that was what was making the noise. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help,
Barbara

[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yBG...ew?usp=sharing[/video]

Barb B

Premium Member
Update - after reading through some of the other posts about noises I took the panel off inside the freezer and it looked like the fan motor had rotated a bit. After unplugging the cord and looking at the new fan motor sitting in the bracket it looks like the new motor had too much wiggle room.

I didn't notice how close the old motor was to the bracket but it was sitting square when I took it apart. I made 2 tape wedges, taped them to the bracket arms and reinstalled the bracket. I also didn't push the fan down as far as I had the first time. So far so good, no noise. I think if the motor was turning itself it would have been moving the fan so that the fan was scraping the sides.

I'll keep listening and if the noise comes back I'll update this post. Does anyone have a better suggestion for some type of wedge to keep the motor from rotating in the bracket?
Thanks,
Barbara