ED2KHAXVB01 Fridge compressor not running, tech has no idea

amor1210

Premium Member
Model Number
ED2KHAXVB01
Brand
Whirlpool
So my fridge stopped working (not cooling and no compressor firing). I have a warranty thru some company who was sending a tech. Im a tech myself but in a different field. So i tried diagnose myself before the tech showed up. I get a click sound coming from the start stop relay. I also took it out and it smelled burnt. So i said must be that. Tech comes out and in 5 minutes runs out says needs call boss. He didn't know what he was doing and sad when in 5 minutes you have to run out to make a call. Comes in 15 minutes later and boss says its the start stop relay. Part being ordered. So i said shoot i have one already on order.

Long story short it came in and swapped it out. No go and still no compressor firing. You do feel a little something running in the compressor and then click from switch and stops. The compressor eventually gets super hot.

Also i bough this house with existing fridge and it wasn't mine. So when this happened i quickly went underneath to clean any dust. There was so much built under that i had to use a compressor just to see anything. So i know that's the reason of this issue but i need know where to start now. The techs coming out tomorrow and put a part in that isnt the fix. Ive already contacted company asking for money back because who comes out and doesn't know anything about what they do and carries zero parts? I have a car stock of common parts to do my job.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

You can use a multimeter to ohm test the compressor start relay for continuity, normal would be 0-12 ohms.

Make sure you unplug your refrigerator first, then remove it from the side of your compressor, then put your meter probes in the 2 parallel holes and it should read 0-12 ohms.

If it ohms good, then the compressor is locked up.

Replacing the compressor would cost more than it's worth.

Refrigerator shopping time and most appliances stores are already running their BLACK FRIDAY sales.:)

I recommend Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, and Amana. The less bells and whistles=less electronics, the better.

Jake

amor1210

Premium Member
So the trick is if it ohms it’s locked up but it you get nothing than the compressor is good and it’s something else?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Interesting, did you ohm test the compressor start relay like I mentioned?

You also ohm tested the compressor pins and got nothing?

What did the tech say today when he or she came out?

Jake

amor1210

Premium Member
I tested the switch and two out 3 had continuity so I replaced it with the part the tech ordered. It was a universal start stop relay. That also did nothing. The tech never showed up! I swear worse company ever. If I could bad mouth this warranty company on here I totally would

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then your compressor is bad.

Time to go refrigerator shopping.

Jake