FIXED ED2KVEXVQ01 Whirlpool frig growling.

missy1462

Premium Member
Model Number
ED2KVEXVQ01
Brand
Whirlpool
If I could ask for some advise/help, I would greatly appreciate it. We bought a side by side Whirlpool frig from my mom and dad about 3'ish years ago. I think mom owned it for a few years before that and they purchased it new.

A month or so ago, she brought me a card to repurchase an extended warranty, but it was so expensive we opted to not take it out. Now I wish we had. A few days ago the frig started growling.

Reading some of the other posts on here about Whirlpool refrigerators making a noise, we took that advice and pulled the bottom cover off and listened to it.

The growl happens on the side of the frig under the freezer portion and it happens when that fan starts running that, "I assume" evaporates the water from the freezer. Any help anyone could give us as to how to fix this/parts to order, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

jackofalltrades

Appliance Tech
When you hear the noise open the freezer door. Does the noise get a LOT louder or does the noise go away completely? If the noise gets a lot louder , or goes away completely, then something is going on with the evaporator fan motor. Could be a bad fan motor or a defrost problem causing ice to build up into the fan blade.

If the noise basically remains at the same level when you open the door, pull out the refrigerator and remove the bottom cover behind the refrigerator. See if the condenser fan motor is making the noise or the compressor maybe.
Let us know what you find.

missy1462

Premium Member
We did pull the frig out and listen. There is a cover at the bottom of the frig we pulled off. Looking straight into the back bottom of the refrigerator, on the left is a round motor of some sort. On the right side, under the freezer side, is a fan.

When the noise starts happening, that fan blade is turning, but, going by your instructions also, when the noise happens and I open the freezer door, the noise does not get louder but really goes away. You can hear the refrigerator running when you open the freezer door, but not that growling noise.

Thoughts, and thank you for your reply.

jackofalltrades

Appliance Tech
You have something going on with the evaporator fan motor. See if the blade is hitting something. I have seen the blade move down the shaft and come in contact with the motor. Ice build up can interfere with the blade also.

If not then replace the motor.

Here is the motor if you need it(Video Included):
W10124096 Condenser Motor Kit

jackofalltrades

Appliance Tech
when the noise happens and I open the freezer door, the noise does not get louder but really goes away. You can hear the refrigerator running when you open the freezer door, but not that growling noise.
That statement pointed to an evap fan motor problem. I don't have the privilege of being there and hearing the noise so I have to go by your description of the symptoms. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to be able to track down a "growling" noise that stops when you open the freezer door.
The only other items that stop running when you open the freezer door are the ice maker, on some models, and the auger motor . Open the freezer door then push the light/fan switch in. Listen for the noise and track it down.

missy1462

Premium Member
Well, rocket scientist I am not but when the growling noise is happening and I open the freezer door, the sound does not get louder and you can't hear it growl. We have pulled the refrigerator out (several times), and sat down and listened and neither hubs nor myself can literally pinpoint where the noise is coming from when it's happening.

We have ordered the other motor and fan W10124096 that is in the bottom of the frig in the back and hopefully that will fix the problem. When you are down in the back watching when that fan starts up, you can't hear the growl so well from that vantage point either that would make you say, ah ha there it is. I just want to smack it and tell it to straighten up! I appreciate all your help with this, sir.

jackofalltrades

Appliance Tech
If it were the fan in the rear (condenser fan motor) it would be pretty obvious to detect if it is the cause of the noise when you are sitting next to it. To eliminate it as the cause you can unplug the fan motor . If the noise goes away then you found the cause of the noise. If the noise doesn't go away you obviously have to look elsewhere

missy1462

Premium Member
This has been beyond the weirdest thing. Hubs is a construction guy/bridge builder and all around jack of all trades also, so this whole thing was not beyond his ability to fix. When the frig was pushed back in its place next to the wall, the sound was loud while it was happening. When we would pull the frig out and take that cover off the bottom and sit down right at it and listen, you just could not honestly say that the growling noise was there. Anyhow, we ordered the condenser fan and motor and the noise has stopped completely. Thankful my refrigerator isn't growling anymore! Thank you jackofalltrades, for all your help with this. It was greatly appreciated!!