FIXED ED5FHEXTS00 Whirlpool Refrigerator - Freezer thaws periodically and then re-freezes

PatentPenguin

Premium Member
Model Number
ED5FHEXTS00
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi. The freezer side is thawing a bit (ice cream gets soft) and then freezes up nicely. The refrigerator is also not cooling too great when I notice the freezer thawing. I replaced the defrost thermostat thinking that it may be faulty and no luck. Checked the gasket seal on the door and looks good. The evaporator fan is working fine. Any ideas on what part might be acting up? T.I.A.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

When you notice it thawing and not cooling properly is the refrigerator running? Or dead silent?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, is the compressor and fans ALL running or NOT running when this thawing happens?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Thanks, That narrows it down.:)

The contact in the temperature control thermostat is sticking, if you tap on the temperature control thermostat with a good jolt from your hand, the compressor and fans should start running like normal, this is very common to happen on Whirlpool and Kenmore 106 models after 10 years, I had this exact same thing in Parker, Arizona a few weeks ago and I replaced it and it fixed it.:)

Here's the temperature control thermostat for your model you can order:
WP2315562 Thermostat

There is a video included in the temperature control thermostat part link that shows you how to replace it.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent PatentPenguin, glad to hear the new temperature control thermostat fixed it. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake