• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

ED5LTAXVL00 Whirlpool Fresh food section taking a long time to cool / Freezer OK (defroster working)

moneymikey1

Premium Member
Model Number
ED5LTAXVL00
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a 12 year old Whirlpool side by side refrigerator (ED5LTAXVL00). Earlier this year I had a problem with the defrost cycle not working properly and the evaporator coils icing over, so I replaced the defrost thermostat as well as the defrost control board (not sure which of these had gone bad but I just replaced them both to be safe. Defrost heater coil tested fine). It worked fine for 5 months or so.

In the past couple days, I noticed the fresh food section was warmer than normal (butter a little soft, drinks not quite as cold, etc). I put a wireless thermometer in both the freezer and fridge sections and saw that the freezer was about as cold as expected, but the fridge was close to 50 degrees. I didn't notice a large amount of ice buildup on the evaporator coils this time (as was the case earlier this year), but I manually defrosted the unit anyway. After starting it back up, it cooled down to normal temperature, but after some normal usage (opening a closing the fridge door a handful of times to get things out), the fresh food section was back at around 50 degrees. We then left it closed and noticed it took a really long time to cool the fridge section back down (only dropping by about 1 degree per hour). Freezer seems to cool down quicker.

The evaporator fan seems to be working, at least some of the time (I can hear it run and can feel some cold air coming out of the damper. It is not noisy), but there were a couple times while it was supposed to be cooling down (fridge temp was still too high) that I noticed the fan was NOT running and not blowing air into the fridge section. Is it possible/common for the evaporator fan to be PARTIALLY failed (work normally some of the time but not all of the time or not running at a high enough speed)? Or could this be caused by something else? Does the defrost control board also control when the unit runs the evaporator fan to cool down the fridge? If so, perhaps the new one I put in in February could be bad? Any other ideas as to what could be wrong?

I did clean the condensor coils and verified that the condensor and condensor fan are working.

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, your evaporator fan motor in the freezer is starting to go bad, that fan should be running at all times while the compressor is running.

Evaporator(freezer) fan motor for your model you can order:
WP2315549 Evaporator Fan Motor

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

moneymikey1

Premium Member
Thanks, so these can fail in such a way that they work at times and don't other times? I haven't narrowed it down to whether the fan is ever not running while the compressor IS running, just that I've noticed it not running a few times when the fridge temp was high enough that it should be.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
so these can fail in such a way that they work at times and don't other times?
That is correct.

All you need to do to verify that is get a multimeter and remove the electrical connector to your evaporator fan motor and put your meter probes in it, if your meter reads a constant 120 volts and the evaporator fan motor is not running, then that evaporator fan motor is bad.

Jake

moneymikey1

Premium Member
OK I replaced the evaporator fan and it is still not running consistently and not enough to cool the fridge down adequately. The freezer section is still very cold (5 degrees), but after opening and closing the fridge section a handful of times to get things out this morning, the fridge side is 51 degrees. At this temperature, the evaporator fan should be running constantly to blow cold air into the fridge side and cool it down, correct? It's currently only running intermittently, which will cool it down eventually, but only 1 degree an hour or so. Other times (like for the past few days since I replaced the evaporator fan), it runs more consistently and keeps the fridge side cold.

Confirmed the defroster is working properly. What else could be the reason the evaporator fan is not running consistently? Is there a thermostat in the fridge side that could be giving a false reading?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It should be running constantly, did you to confirm a constant 120 volts at the electrical connector to the evaporator fan motor before replacing it?

I just asked our tech. Bigbuck if he has the tech. data sheet.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm attaching the tech data sheet for your model below.

Look at the wiring diagram, the evaporator fan motor has two leads, White(Neutral) and Red/White(Line) that goes to the temperature control thermostat RED, and the defrost board RED.

So if the temperature control thermostat is keeping the compressor running, then it has to be making 120 volts go to the evaporator fan motor, unless you have a short or pinched wire between those connections.

Jake

Attachments

• ED5LTAXVL00 Service and Wiring Sheet - W10156278 - Rev B.pdf
    455.5 KB · Views: 22

moneymikey1

Premium Member
The evaporator fan doesn't run constantly. The fan sometimes (not always) stops before the refrigerator section is cooled down completely. Then when we open and close the door to get food out for lunch, etc. it will warm up to above 50 degrees and take a very long time to cool down (about 1 or 2 degrees per hour). I've noticed that if I shut off the fridge temperature control and turn it back on, it will cool down much quicker (more like 8 degrees per hour). Does that point to a bad Temperature Control Thermostat being the issue? The fridge has a new defrost thermostat, defrost control board, and evaporator fan.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

If the evaporator fan motor and compressor are shutting down together, then yes its likely the temperature control thermostat is going sour, if you tap on the temperature control thermostat with a good jolt from your hand, the compressor and fans should start running like normal, this is very common to happen on Whirlpool and Kenmore 106 models after 10 years, I had this exact same thing in Parker, Arizona a few months ago and I replaced it and it fixed it.:)

Here's the temperature control thermostat for your model you can order:
WP2315562 Thermostat

There is a video included in the temperature control thermostat part link that shows you how to replace it.

Jake