ED5PVEXWS02 Refrigerator makes clicking noise

aus1995

Premium Member
Model Number
ED5PVEXWS02
Brand
Whirlpool
Refrigerator makes clicking noise. Changed start device & capacitor but still clicks.

Have a Whirlpool side by side refrigerator. Purchased September 2010. The night before we went on vacation it started making clicking noise and stopped cooling. Luckily we have a spare fridge in the garage, so was able to load everything in there before we left on vacation. We unplugged the fridge while gone.

When we returned a week later, we plugged the fridge in and it started up and started cooling with no clicking sounds. So, after a couple of hours we got busy washing everything down on the inside (in anticipation that it would keep working). Well overnight the clicking noise returned, so I turned the fridge off and unplugged it.

I did some online research and it seems the suggestions were to replace the start device and capacitor. Well we found the start device at a Sears part store in town. Installed the start device, but still the same clicking sound. Ordered the capacitor online as no-one had one in stock. Capacitor arrived today. Installed the capacitor, but it did not resolve the problem. Right now, we hear 2 clicking noises - one is a softer click and then about 10-15 seconds later there is a louder click. This pattern of clicks repeats approximately every 2 minutes. We've turned the fridge off and unplugged it. So, right now we're thinking that it could be the compressor.

So, my questions are:

1. Could the "new" parts be defective? Is there a way to check them out?
2. Is there something else we can try?
3. Do we need to call Whirlpool seeing the fridge is less than 4 years old?
4. Do we need to go refrigerator shopping?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Rita

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It sounds like the compressor is the problem. You can check it with a DMM that has a 10 Amp setting or a clamp on style amp probe. The run capacitor is not necessary for the compressor to run and wouldn't cause the problem you're having.

Check your warranty. The refrigerator has a five year warranty on the sealed system. The compressor is part of the sealed system:
Compressor Testing.jpg

aus1995

Premium Member
I've checked the warranty that's in the appliance booklet - and it states "one year from date of purchase." There is no mention of a 5 year warranty on the sealed system. I guess I'm out of luck and will be buying a new refrigerator. Thanks for the quick response.

rickgburton

Staff member
Hmm...just because you don't see it in the warranty information doesn't necessarily mean you don't have it. It might be worth a phone call to Whirlpool: For assistance or service in the U.S.A., call 1-800-253-1301

aus1995

Premium Member
Rick,

I called Whirlpool as you suggested and unfortunately, my refrigerator only had a 1 year warranty so I'm out of luck. In looking at new refrigerators, it seems only the more expensive units offer more than the standard 1 year warranty. I'm not ready to spend $2,000+ on a new fridge to get the 5 or 7 year closed system warranty. But, I have been looking at the extended service plans on my next purchase.

Thanks again for your help.

rickgburton

Staff member
Sealed system problems are not common. Don't purchase an extended warranty for that purpose. There's just not enough service techs with the experience needed to do a sealed system repair properly.