• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED ED5VHEXTB01 Whirlpool Refrigerator - ice maker stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynnvangsnes

Premium Member
Model Number
ED5VHEXTB01
Brand
Whirlpool
Is there a part number for the entire ice bucket assembly? Ours was lost during a move...yes, the whole bucket assembly; auger and all.
I am also having problems now with the icemaker itself.
It worked fine for a couple years after I installed an r/o system under the sink, and added the icemaker extension...great cubes, the wife loves it.
It started dropping cubes that were not quite frozen all the way, but no biggy.
It worked so well that I would have to turn the unit off manually by raising the bail..not a problem..except when restarting, it would take several days to kick in full speed again. This went on for quite a while, but still working; technically.
The other day, after another restart, it did not make any more cubes.
I can see the chute through which the water is delivered, is full of ice. It will make lots of clunking noises, but obviously with no water, it will not cycle.
I am considering replacing the unit, and what else might I be needing to replace while I am in there?
Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, here's the complete ice bucket assembly--->It fits 25 and 27 cubic foot refrigerator models:
Ice Container Assembly WPW10312300

For 20 cubic foot models order WP2209778. For 22 cubic foot models order WPW10312301.

For the ICE MAKER PROBLEM:

Here's the ice maker for your model:
Ice Maker Assembly WPW10190965

If no ice in the ice maker tray, then you would need to test for water flow to the ice maker tray.

You can jump the L & V on the module and that will send 120 volts to your water inlet valve and see if water comes INTO your ice maker. Just make a jumper wire with 1/2" of the wire insulation removed from both ends of it. You have to push the freezer light switch in while the little jumper wire is in the L & V test points.
OR
If you want to test the water inlet valve alone, the water inlet valve is in the back of your refrigerator were your water supply line hooks up to it.

You can buy a cheater test cord at any hardware store in your area, or use a old lamp cord.

@jptl shows how he did it and made a great step-by-step with photos here:

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
Water Inlet Valve W10408179

Jake

lynnvangsnes

Premium Member
A buddy of mine suggested I use a blow dryer to melt the frozen ice in the "chute". I did so with the fridge unplugged. When it had melted enough, I was able to remove the pencil sized ice cube. I plugged the fridge back in and activated the icemaker. Two hours later, we had our first batch of cubes, and it is still working nicely.
Thanks for your info.
You may label this as fixed.
I will make the appropriate donation.
LV

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent LV, good job, glad that was all it was.(y)

Thanks for the update and donation!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.