FIXED EFLS627UTT Washer "Warm" and "Hot" settings are too cold

dbeach

Premium Member
Model
EFLS627UTT
Brand
Electrolux
I will call service on Monday since this should be a warranty issue, but I like to have a general idea of potential solutions going in, and am hoping the forum can help me understand the behavior I'm seeing.

Here's the problem:
With the cycle set to "normal" and temperature set to "warm", the water temperature during the wash cycle never exceeds 60 F. The hot water valve is open for only four seconds.

Here's what I have checked:
- The hot and cold hoses are connected properly.
- Hot (120 F) and cold (49 F) are available at the washer.
- I measured water temperature at various times during the wash cycle. It increased by about 1 F. Final was temp was 59 F.
- No error codes were present.
- During the wash/fill cycle, the hot water valve opened for ONLY 4 SECONDS, after an initial 47 second period of cold water flow. The cold water valve was later opened for periods of 60, 14, 9, and 10 seconds, all during the wash/fill cycle. The hot water valve never opened again.
- Similar behavior is seen with the temperature set to "hot".

I looked through an Electrolux service manual (different models from mine - EIFLW55H & EWFLW65H) from this site to try and understand how the washer is supposed to control temperature. For these models, water temperature is controlled via the water valves based on a thermister signal. "Warm" should create a wash temperature of around 84 F.

Questions:
- Does my model's temperature control operate along the same lines?
- Would a faulty thermister cause this behavior? (if not that, what would?)
- Why is there no error code for this situation? (My washer has no error codes, and temperature-related codes in the tech data sheet seem to address boost heater problems - different from what I'm seeing.)

Here's hoping someone on the forum recognizes this problem.

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, that is very strange. Its sounds like possibly the water temperature thermistor is bad, but your right the control board should throw a error code when that happens.

So you may have a control board problem, I've replaced a few control boards already on these newer Electrolux and Frigidaire models for not washing/not spinning issues.

Let us know what they find.

Jake

dbeach

Premium Member
Today's visit from the service tech was very frustrating. He said my washer is behaving normally. Using only a few seconds of hot water per fill, regardless of temperature setting, is normal. I am dumbfounded. He said all washers work this way now.

This leaves me with a washer which always has very cold water in the wash tub. The tech suggested using the "sanitize" setting. In this mode, the washer's electric boost heater heats the water to a very high temperature, unsuitable for many fabrics.

I called Electrolux consumer help to hear from them what wash water temperature I should expect when using the hot or warm setting. The poor support person does not have that information. Odd. This is important, because if I have another technician come out and he tells me a 60 degree wash is "warm" and per factory spec, I pay for the service call. So it would be nice to know Electrolux' definitions of hot and warm.

Below is information from an older Electrolux Service Manual that was posted to this site. Does anyone have a current tech manual with this information, or know how I can get it? In the meantime, I'll continue to work with the service department. Maybe today's tech just wasn't knowledgeable.

Temperature Setting Temperature Range
Sanitize 67°C (152°F) +/- 5°C
Hot 55°C (131°F) +/- 5°C
Eco Hot 45°C (113°F) +/- 5°C
Warm 29°C (84°F) +/- 4°C
Eco Warm 27°C (81°F) +/- 3°C
Warm Rinse 24°C (75°F) +/- 3°C
Cold 15°C (59°F) +/- 5°C

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I pay for the service call.
No, you shouldn't of had to pay for the service call when its under warranty. Call Electrolux back and tell them its not fixed and ask them to send out the LEAD TECH.

I couldn't locate the service manual on this model.

When you set it on HOT ONLY does the HOT water side of the water inlet valve keep pouring HOT water into the machine? Or does it still do a few seconds of HOT water?

Jake

dbeach

Premium Member
When you set it on HOT ONLY does the HOT water side of the water inlet valve keep pouring HOT water into the machine? Or does it still do a few seconds of HOT water?
Jake
Thanks for asking questions. I very much appreciate it. The washer doesn't have a HOT ONLY setting, but SANITIZE might be be similar.

In the NORMAL cycle, hot waters flows for a few seconds from the inlet valve, when using the HOT or WARM temperature selections. The heater is not used. For the SANITIZE temperature setting (still NORMAL cycle), hot water is used all the time, plus the heater boosts the temperature further.

For the NORMAL cycle, the washer does not behave per the manual. It behaves as if the HOT and WARM settings are disabled. (Side note: I imagine this would result in lower energy consumption numbers)

For the WHITEST WHITES cycle on HOT, the drum fills with cold water only, wash time is extended by ten minutes (compared to NORMAL), and the water is heated for approximately the last ten minutes to 100F by the end of the cycle.

I also ran diagnostic test 08. The heater raised cold water to around 84, as it should. The heater and thermister appear to be working just fine.

The whole situation is starting to feel odd. Electrolux customer support can't give me a straight answer to simple questions, and waffles about what is written in the manual. The first tech who came out tells me the washer is working as Electrolux intended and that the HOT and WARM settings do nothing, in spite of what the manual says. That sounded crazy, but I'm starting to believe him.

Electrolux says that since I already had a service call and was told the washer is functioning "correctly", I will be billed for a subsequent call with the same result (washer is functioning correctly).

Since I cannot speak directly to Electrolux tech support, maybe my best course of action is to submit written questions to the place of purchase. Tried this once by phone, but answers they got from Electrolux were vague. I'm not willing to pay for a tech visit until I know for certain how the washer is supposed to behave, according to Electrolux. The manual is has little value at this point.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Where did you buy this machine from? Lowes, Home Depot, Sears?

Electrolux is vague with their tech. data sheets and service manuals too.

Jake

dbeach

Premium Member
I try to avoid the big box stores. The washer was purchased from a local appliance store with their own service department. I asked for their most reliable brand... My source for brand recommendations used to be a local appliance parts store. Such a great place. They retired. Had an old school mentality and they seemed to know most everything about appliances.

I did some testing...

The cycles, ACTIVEWEAR, WHITEST WHITES, and HEAVY DUTY, all produce warm (~85 F) and/or hot (~100 F) wash water. I think running HEAVY DUTY with a LIGHT soil setting comes closest to what NORMAL would provide if it were permitted to heat water.

I'm all for energy efficiency, but for Electrolux to document as available temperature settings that do nothing when selected, is sloppy, or just plain dishonest. Curious what the energy star certification test procedure entails and if it heavily weights the NORMAL cycle.

I think I've just about beat this to death I truly appreciate the questions and insights everyone provided along the way.

I'll be sure to followup if I learn anything new. I suspect the washer is working as intended by Electrolux, if not as documented.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake