FIXED EFME617SIW Noisy 3 month old Electrolux dryer

dekester

Premium Member
Model Number
EFME617SIW
Brand
Electrolux
We bought a new Electrolux washer and dryer in October. The dryer has started to make a sort of rumble when running. We clean the lint filter religiously, it is level. The noise occurs even when empty. Nothing external to it is causing a vibration (hoses, etc...). A service man came out and said it was normal. Two weeks later and the noise is worse. I have them scheduled to come out again this week, but I would like to be armed with some more information in case I am dismissed again. It is hard to describe a sound, but it is like a low rumble. It is not "smooth" like it was when new (even though it is still technically new). I can hear/feel it all the way upstairs now. What are some likely causes? Bad belt? Drum rollers? A bad bearing? Blower wheel?

Thanks in advance. Given it is new and I have an extended warranty, I am not up to fixing it myself...

P.S. I didn't realize there was a dedicated Electrolux spot, so I am reposting here.

dekester

Premium Member
No ideas on why a three month old dryer is not malfunctioning like this? Oh well. For what it's worth I will post the outcome of the service call tomorrow.

dekester

Premium Member
Okay, problem solved. There was a massive amount of lint in the blower motor causing it to be out of balance and "rumble." The source of the problem is the lousy vent installed by previous owners of the house. It did not have enough clearance and so the lint was essentially forced back into the machine. The service guy was super smart (different one this time) and knew this was the problem the second he saw the vent outside. He says this is a common issue with the otherwise pretty good Electrolux dryers, so make sure you have a good external vent with clearance to fully open. See the pic attached below - all this in 3 months! Dryer is now nice and quiet.

IMG_2978.jpg

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member

dekester

Premium Member
Of course, but he did say it was particularly important to the Electrolux and he said cleans them all the time, more than any other brand. So, any owner (especially a new one like me) might want to know this. The previous dryer used the same vent for what looked like ages and we had it for six months with no problems. It is a very short straight run - 5 feet max, but the way they installed the vent cover is the problem. I'm actually very releived. Thought I bought a lemon... Off to Lowes now for a new cover and pipe extension!

pezzy669

Premium Member
Of course, but he did say it was particularly important to the Electrolux and he said cleans them all the time, more than any other brand. So, any owner (especially a new one like me) might want to know this. The previous dryer used the same vent for what looked like ages and we had it for six months with no problems. It is a very short straight run - 5 feet max, but the way they installed the vent cover is the problem. I'm actually very releived. Thought I bought a lemon... Off to Lowes now for a new cover and pipe extension!
Sorry to resurrect a year old thread.

My ~13 month old (same exact model) has started roaring and sounds like what you experienced. I'm in a ground floor condo so the exhaust runs up into the ceiling then laterally to the vent outside. My HOA just had all the vents cleaned but they did it from the exterior so I have a feeling they pushed a lot of the lint down when they hit the vertical portion - if this is the case I am going to be absolutely livid with my HOA. I have an Electrolux authorized repair person coming out this Thursday to see what is going on, Electrolux had a promotion where I got complimentary 3 year parts warranty so I just have to cover the labor. I'm kicking myself that I didn't spend the $250 or so to extend the labor for another 2 years for both the washer and dryer as this visit is going to be $90 to start.

Other than my current I am super happy with both machines - I might see if I can still extend the labor warranty if my issue does turn out to be lint buildup.

**Edit

On a side note I am in an area (Atlanta) that has repair people who work directly for Electrolux/Frigidaire but trying to get one of them was impossible, the rep I spoke to could not even find availability for one of them as far out as the system would let her look so they had to schedule me with an authorized repair company.

Last edited:

pezzy669

Premium Member
Just as a quick update to my above issue. Had a very good appliance repair company (sourced by Frigidaire/Electrolux) come visit and they replaced the belt 134719300 and idler pulley 134793500 of the drive system, my dryer runs like new.

Now my only concern is how does the drive system wear out in 13 months. Except for 1 large dog bed that I wash maybe 1x per month the loads I run are way less than capacity.