EFME617STT Electrolux Dryer Bang Noise

IndyJo

Premium Member
Model Number
EFME617STT
Brand
Electrolux
Hi all, I purchased an Electrolux washer/dryer combo in September, 2016. The dryer is model EFME617STT. Ever since the first load I put in it, it has made a loud "bang" noise every 5 to 6-1/2 minutes until it gets into the cool down cycle. It sounds like an expansion bang, actually. It's just makes one loud bang every so often. As soon as I heard the noise, I called the company I bought the combo from, and they sent a tech out within a few days. He was skeptical that what I was claiming was true, as he had never heard a dryer do that before, until I ran a load of laundry and it started making the noise. He had no clue of what was causing it, but did say that it sounded like an expansion bang. His take on it was to let it settle into its new home and see if the noise stopped. If not, I could call his company back and see if they would replace it (although he was pretty sure they wouldn't), or he would just start replacing parts in it instead. It was a BRAND NEW dryer, so I was not about to let him just start replacing parts in it right off the bat. So, I decided to give it some time to see if the noise would go away. Well, it didn't. So, since that time, I have had 2 different Electrolux techs come out to look at it. One tech (who has been in the appliance business for over 30 years) had never heard that kind of noise before, but did eventually change out the thermostats and idler arm, hoping that would take care of the problem. Well, it didn't. Another tech came out, who said it was an "expansion bang", and that it was "normal operation" for a dryer to do that. He has actually been out to our house 3 times, and each time, has said the same thing. I eventually threw him out of the house the last time, and told him I never wanted to see him at my house again. I've been calling/writing to Electrolux service, who is going with whatever the tech is telling them, and are refusing to replace the dryer or refund my money for it. But, they have been so kind as to offer an additional three months on my warranty for the dryer. Gee, that's swell...

We have added a laundry room to an addition of our home, and have installed all new ducting with no 90 degree angles in it. The ducting goes up to the roof, which is, at most 10 feet up. We have also installed a DryerJack roof cap, which is supposed to improve the dryer exhaust substantially. Even the Electrolux tech said that we have done a good job at setting up the dryer.

I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of this problem of an "expansion bang" before? Even with other models of dryers, perhaps? I have searched the internet and have come up with nothing. I have posted a couple of videos of my dryer on YouTube, hoping that someone will have an idea of what's going on. I have found two other people who have had the exact same problem as I have. They too, noticed the bang noise from the very first load they put in the dryer.

Thanks for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Whats the Youtube links? I'd like to hear it myself.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

Yes, I heard those bang sounds, I've never heard that before on any dryers in my 30 years of appliance repair.

I'll ask Jeff and Rick what they think it could be.

Jake

Amichelle1

Premium Member
Hi! I found this site on a google search as I am having the EXACT same issue on a 2 day old dryer! Could you please let me know if there was any resolution to your issue or if you ever found out what is causing this? We never had this with our old Whirlpool dryer. Our Electrolux is the same model as yours. Thanks for your assistance.

NJSprMama

Electrolux 627 model dryer

I recently purchased a new Electrolux 317 model dryer and on the first load it starting making these banging sounds like you are referring to. I called to have it returned and they told me I needed to have a service person come and look at it first (insert eye roll). I did, he could not explain the random banging the dryer would make with a load in it. I called again to have it returned and they authorized the return.

I upgraded to the best model that is out now the 627. OMG, first load, it made the banging noise (insert angry face). My question...=what the hell is this and has anyone had it identified and fixed. I'm calling for service on this 2nd machine today and then I'm going straight to Electrolux!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This noise has been a mystery.

Jake

MKDev

I have the same dryer and same loud bang, almost sound like a gunshot. I did contact Electrolux and they said it was normal. However, when doing some spring cleaning outside I noticed a dryer sheet and lint sticking out of the outside vent, I cleaned everything out and it hasn't banged again after 5 loads. I think there's a problem with the lint trap letting things get through it (around the edges) and becoming lodged in the vent. Maybe causing back pressure? During the winter I would see steam coming out of the vent so I wasn't concerned that it was clogged. Hopefully this helps someone else, I was terrified my dryer would catch on fire or worse blow up! I'm not happy with Electrolux's response to my inquiry since it's pretty obvious that the vent was somewhat clogged.