FIXED EFMG617STT Electrolux Dryer motor wont start

dougwood

Premium Member
Model Number
EFMG617STT
Brand
Electrolux
Hi I just replace the belt on my model EFMG617STT gas dryer and i can't get a it to run. It has power and everything seems to be back together properly. When the belt broke the motor would run and heat would fire. Now it powers up but wont run.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Completely 100% retrace your repair steps all the way back/apart and then back together to see what you missed.
Could be a loose wire plug or such.

jeff.

rickgburton

Staff member
Let's check for any error codes.

Press power to turn machine on.

Rotate cycle selector ring (on some models) or repeatedly press cycle button (on other models) to set cycle to normal.

Press the start button.

Power off machine by pressing the power button.

Power on machine by pressing the power button again.

Within 7 seconds, simultaneously press and hold the Temp & Set buttons for 3 seconds.

Diagnostic Mode is active when LED’s start blinking in sequence. This is the initial test position and the initial test - Lights/Buttons.

Tests are selected by using the same method used to select cycles. Models with the cycle selection button uses the cycles button to move forward, holding a little longer for the test 00 (cycle lights) to 01 transition and press the temp key to go back to the previous test. Models with the rotary cycle selector use the rotary selector ring to go forward and back.

Test numbers are briefly displayed when each test is selected. Go straight to test 06 Error code history. The machine will display the last three error codes stored in memory with the most recent error code first. Write down the error codes then press Temp & Set buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds to clear error code history.

Exit diagnostic mode by holding the power button for three seconds or unplug the machine.

Post the error codes here.

jeff1

Staff member
If a wire plug or connector was left loose Rick, would it even go into test mode?

jeff.

dougwood

Premium Member
Hi,

Completely 100% retrace your repair steps all the way back/apart and then back together to see what you missed.
Could be a loose wire plug or such.

jeff.
Hi Jeff, I've done that twice. as well as checking the resistance in the door switch. I even tried a factory reset which didnt produce a chime sound. Maybe because it's still at factory settings? Everything lights up and all the cycles will light up and change but still no motor. Doug

dougwood

Premium Member
OK, as soon as I went through that proccess the machine displayed "E 42". However when I either turn the rotary or push any other buttons it exits out of that mode.

rickgburton

Staff member
E42 is a door switch problem. You said you "checked the resistance in the door switch". What was it?

dougwood

Premium Member
00.0, I just double checked it with and without the pigtail attached. both good. I'm hoping that I didn't somehow harm the control board. it won't let me do a factory reset either. it did give me the error code though.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member

dougwood

Premium Member
I hear you rick, It makes no sense. I have checked all the above several times though. Why wont it allow a factory reset. I go through the procedure and nothing happens. No lights and no audible sounds. I did take the drum all the way out so I could clean all the belt shreds from inside.

rickgburton

Staff member
dougwood said:
Why wont it allow a factory reset.
Everything including the diagnostics and reset is stored on the control board.

dougwood

Premium Member
Are we talking about the control board in the front or the actual main board on the top left side? I've seen them both being referred to, "main board" and Control board". Also thank you for taking the time. I really appreciate it.

rickgburton

Staff member
Main board on the top left side. I run into the part name problem all the time. It can be confusing to say the least. Electronic control, console control, user interface control, and when trying to figure it out, self control...lol

jeff1

Staff member
Gotta wonder if a wire popped out of a connector or such in the door switch circuit....hopefully it is not the board, not seeing the switch any more :(

jeff.

dougwood

Premium Member
Main board on the top left side. I run into the part name problem all the time. It can be confusing to say the least. Electronic control, console control, user interface control, and when trying to figure it out, self control...lol
So I picked up a main board this morning, and installed it early this afternoon and everything is running as it is supposed to. The only thing I can think that could have caused this is that when I was running it without a belt something must have over heated. Either way after a installing a new belt a faulty tension pulley and main board. It ended up being $270.00, to repair. Thank you for all your assistance.