• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

EI23CS55GS1 Electrolux water dispenser comes on by itself

interpon

Premium Member
Model Number
EI23CS55GS1
Brand
Electrolux
Hi,
freak issue, water comes on thankfully someone nearby, came on by itself and had to pull refrigerator and turn off water valve to stop flow, probably dumped a few gallons
next day working normally but cannot risk leaving water back on.
ice works fine, only comment to add is witness thought it really came out forcefully compared to cup, but not for sure, no other details.
Again works fine now.

thanks for advice and or part to replace..disconcerting obviously..and cannot trust it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Its possibly a bad water inlet valve, next time it does that UNPLUG the refrigerator first and see if the water stops, if the water DOES NOT STOP, then its definity the water inlet valve that's bad.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model you can order:
242252702 Water Valve

Jake

interpon

Premium Member
Well it may be some time to see...seems if valve strange it would pop open without power

thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the solenoid in the water inlet valve is bad it will not close and flood water everywhere even without power.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Possibly Yes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait hold off ordering the water inlet valve, I just remembered another thread similar to what yours is doing that I helped with here: FIXED: EI23CS35KS2 Ice Door/Augur/Water in door power on at random by themselves.

Read my post #2 where I say:
If you lock out the dispenser controls do they still power on at random?

If not, then the problem is the dispenser module assembly has a short in it and causing this problem.

Your model uses the exact same dispenser module assembly:
Dispenser 242100018

Jake

interpon

Premium Member
your timing is spot on..
ok got home last night from travel...(was going to order today) kept hearing a constant buzz...
pulled out turned water on and it starts to flow out.. so the hum must have been the solenoid calling for water..(it has been shut off for a week.) so I shut water off and unplugged the fridge and water back on it was not flowing so it must have shut valve. I plug back in and turn water on and then all ok seconds later calling for water but seems to only call now for ice cycle like the hum lasts as long to fill ice as opposed to constant flow before..(this would be new)..
I have seen threads on these about diodes going bad? or do you think the control panel??
the lever does work for ice and call for water at dispenser..

thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Like I mentioned above:

If you lock out the dispenser controls do they still power on at random?

If not, then the problem is the dispenser module assembly has a short in it and causing this problem.

Here's the dispenser module for your model you can order:
Dispenser 242100018

Jake

interpon

Premium Member
Investigating now thank you
waiting for failure obviously need to be close by....on another tid bit seems to not be making ice even when i manually cycle it...

interpon

Premium Member
ok... it did it again while water pouring out (as if the a glass was being filled power to solenoid) I let it pour out and then locked the panel.. it locked it out but kept pouring.. had to shut water off..
does that help diagnosis? thanks again!
I will pull out the dispenser and see if I can see any wires loose? burned? I do have a fluke MM.. diodes somewhere? maybe by solenoids?
ice still not being made.. I wonder if line froze from water being off for days

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

It sounds like the water inlet valve is bad.

Next time it does that UNPLUG the refrigerator first and see if the water stops, if the water DOES NOT STOP, then its definity the water inlet valve that's bad.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model you can order:
242252702 Water Valve

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, when the ice maker calls for water does the water come out from the front water dispenser instead?

Jake

interpon

Premium Member
Ice maker works...no eater comes out of water side..note i did unplug the water solenoid at the moment last night si can have ice at least and sleep..
something keeps telling it to come on..and sometimes flutters on off rapidly..
looked for shorts.measured 120 ice 90 water 80 volts if I remember when they are on normally..
resistance 420 ish for all solenoids..

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its possibly the dispenser module is the problem then.

But what throws me for a loop is that when the dispenser controls are locked it still does it, which makes me think its possibly your dispenser control board.

On your model the main control board comes with the dispenser control board as a kit, you must install both for it to work properly.

Its very expensive, so what you can do is order and replace the dispenser module first and see if that fixes it, if not you can return it for a full refund, less shipping, then order this kit below.

5303918585 User Interface Kit

Jake

interpon

Premium Member
You are kind for your time jake.
i think you are right. I actually did replace that about five years ago as it was defective ( would defrost wrong and flood floor not counting a warranty’s call for a loose connector in back when delivered) under the fridge. I think at this point i have ice, a cabinet depth fridge that is 10 years old. A shame.
i think its time to wait for a deal and start over unless there is an epiphany

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I agree.

All the appliance stores are having their Annual Memorial Day Sales, which have already started and go through the end of next week.

We recommend Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Amana.

Jake

interpon

Premium Member
I agree with your brand choices for sure. I justgot back from stores and an equivelant counter depth was about 1500 for the cheapest on sale. My only gripe is water not working on my current one.
well i got an idea, picked up a switch from home depot
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner...h-Button-Switch-Black-1-Pack-GSW-22/100176241

an old cord and a box. I will rig a off switch and deadman the water solenoid. Turns out the hinge cover works perfect and sliding the connector over one (ground) and putting switch on power side...damn thing works..
no water without switch both switch and dispenser switch on , i think i will wait on the counter depth budget til something breaks or some clearance deal.
i know this fix is not for all but im happy and confident of safety knowing 120v.
again thank you for help and parts offering. I will probably be back

Attachments