• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

EI30MH55GWA Looks & Sounds like it's working = no heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssacrf

Premium Member
Model Number
EI30MH55GWA
Brand
Electrolux
I've had this OTR microwave for 2 years. Worked fine last night and this morning, but tonight I get no heat.
It looks and sounds like it's working...lights come on, timer works, fan blowing, etc, but won't budge the temp on a glass of H2O after 3 minutes.

I just don't know where to start. :confused:

Edit: Model number is EI30MH55GWA (changed 1 to I)

Last edited:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

EI30MH55GWA
An Electrolux with an inverter board = :eek:

1) Check your warranty
2) Take it in to local Frigidaire depot to be checked ( cheaper than someone comming to the house )

jeff.

ssacrf

Premium Member
An Electrolux with an inverter board = :eek:
I don't like the looks of that ^ :(

Jeff thanks for the reply. I checked the warranty and I'm outside of it (1 year warranty -- I've had it 1 year and 10 months :mad:).

Does being out of warranty change your recommendations, or does having an inverter board make this thing outside the "fix it yourself" type of problem?

thanks again!
-Steve

jeff1

Staff member
Does being out of warranty change your recommendations
Taking the unit in for checking is still cheaper.

or does having an inverter board make this thing outside the "fix it yourself" type of problem?
Inverters are a nightmare in mcirowaves, without proper testing equipment and manuals this could be way outside a DIY job :(

jeff.

ssacrf

Premium Member
Hi Jeff, thanks again for your advice on this.

I took the unit to a certified repair shop and the diagnosis is a bad Magnetron. They have quoted a price of $335 to complete the repair. I've noticed I can get the part for just about $100, so price wise, I'm better off buying the part and replacing it myself.

My question has to do with the fact that this model has a dreaded "inverter board"...is replacing the magnetron complicated by having an inverter board, or is it pretty straight forward? :D

Thanks again for your help!
-Steve

jeff1

Staff member
Same as any microwave...power off, capacitor discharged, remove a billon panals and such to get at the magnetron. This is not an over complicated job just long and tedious (sp).

Magnetron - EI30MH55GWA

jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.