EI32AR65JS1 Electrolux NOT cooling properly

winger4647

Premium Member
Model
EI32AR65JS1
Brand
Electrolux
A week ago my wife noticed a thin film of ice across her iced tea in the refrigerator. By accident she turned the thermostat down and it turned all liquids into a block of ice. When she realized her error she went the other way and warmed up the frig and this is when the problems started. In a couple of days we had a frig @50F and it would not go down.

Started the following with the box temp @80F

I assumed the closed system was all right or it would not have froze everything so I figured it was probably the thermistor. According to the charts at 77F the sensor should have have a value of ~5000 ohms. I ordered the correct one for the frig # 297110400 and before I installed I checked the ohms and found it to be within a few % of the one I already had. To get the 5000 ohms I needed I wired them both in parallel to get 4800 which was a lot closer than 9800. The frig ran for a few hours pulled down to a little less than 68F from 80F and threw a E8 code. It is my understanding that this meant a bad thermistor.

I installed each sensor separately and ran frig in diagnostic mode. In both cases it said the sensor was ok. My bet the diagnostic mode is only checking continuity??

Checked the wiring from the control module to the sensor and was the same as the sensor.

The compressor runs and is about the same temperature as the freezer compressor. There are no visible leaks and no frost that can be seen. I cannot reach the suction line to see what the temp is (frig connected to freezer, built in and is a bear to remove from wall.) Also have no way to check refrigerant pressures.

The condenser coil was running about 95F and was actually warmer by a couple of degrees than the freezer coil. No visible signs of leakage.

There are no visible signs of blockage to the refrigerant lines.

The unit is running at 1.1A, service manual says .8 to 1.3A.

Evaporator coil after an hour has frost along the first 7-8 inches with a coil temp of 37F on the top rung and 71F on the bottom. Don’t know if this is normal for this model as the coil seems to be 5 to 6 times the size of the condenser coil. Do they regulate box temperature by flooding only a portion of the coil and then mixing the air to get the right temp?

All fans are working

Am I still dealing with a controller/thermistor issue? I am at a loss.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Evaporator coil after an hour has frost along the first 7-8 inches with a coil temp of 37F on the top rung and 71F on the bottom. Don’t know if this is normal for this model as the coil seems to be 5 to 6 times the size of the condenser coil. Do they regulate box temperature by flooding only a portion of the coil and then mixing the air to get the right temp?
It sounds like you have a sealed system problem.

The normal frost pattern would be a thin layer of frost on ALL the coils from TOP to BOTTOM.

Look at these photos below and you will see:
(click to enlarge)
Frost Patterns.jpg

Jake

winger4647

Premium Member
The top right hand picture is exactly what I have. I just looked again as for some reason it has pulled down to 56F.

thanks for the response

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Check your owners manual warranty, some models have up to a 5 year parts and labor warranty on the sealed system.

Jake

winger4647

Premium Member
Yeah did have! How do these manufacturers make products that fail JUST OUTSIDE their warranty. Is this what they call "planned obsolescence?"

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You can contact Electrolux (877) 435-3287, if it's just outside your warranty they may still cover it.:)

Jake

winger4647

Premium Member
Appreciate the suggestion wife already went there with no luck. What really ticks me off is both units sat for almost a year before the house was finished in the barn in the box. Wife had to save a couple of hundred by buying when she did BUT that bit us in the butt with the warranty. Of course Electrolux could care less.

You wouldn't have the service manual for this unit would you (EI32AR65JS1)? I have to assume there is literature that will give me the expected suction and high side pressure as well as the running amps of the compressor (haven't found online as of yet.) What evaporator temperature (coil or refrigerant temperature) is expected with 134 on a refrigerator; or at least evaporator discharge temp and I can figure the rest.

We don't have any repair facilities within an hours drive from here except for one that has a very bad reputation. As this is a sealed system leak, the anticipated cost will probably be close to 1/2 the cost of a new unit knowing these guys and it will probably be at least 2 if not 3 service calls with all that driving. I may try (nothing to lose here if this is the case) topping off the system to the correct volume of refrigerant and installing Cliplight Superseal. As it is a small leak and I believe at this point is not running in a vacuum (machine down to 46F right now) sealing it from within might be an option. I had to do it with a Mitsubishi Mini-split that blew the evaporator coil twice 2 years in a row after installation. After changing it once I'LL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN so the second time for $50 I weighed in a new charge and the Clip seal. Been a few years and nothing plugged but it is a chance it could. Under the circumstances it may be worth a try before buying a new frig.

The compressor is a Panasonic SHJ51C90RAU. Do you have the cross reference guide that gives the capacity of the pump? Again have not been able to find on-line.

Thanks do appreciate the time you spend answering everyone's questions (especially mine!)
Dennis

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

winger4647

Premium Member
Hey Jake, Leak tested before and after dialing in a new charge and could not find so must be a micron leak. Did take almost 6 years to leak down. Frig is holding a 37F cab temp and holding a 37F temp on 2 glasses of water top and bottom. I am logging the min/max on a daily basis and find 47/24 a 13 deg spread. My Whirlpool is 40/35 a 5 deg spread holding a 38F cab temp. I tried calling Electrolux and could not get the expected min/max. Any experience with this?

I am back to questioning the thermister. Appliance Parts Pro has sent 2 thermisters which ohm out close to my original call it 10000 ohms at 72F. They claim it should be 5000 ohms (they sent me their chart they are using) but the replacements are no where near their chart. Again I tried to get the accurate info from Electrolux but no I cannot get.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Have you checked your meter battery? a weak meter battery will make it not ohm correctly.:)

At room temperature it should measure 5,000-6,000 ohms. At 32*F somewhere around 15,000-16,000 ohms.

Put it in a glass of ice water and wait 5 minutes before ohm testing it, then tell us what it reads.

Here's the thermistor for your model:
Thermistor 297110400

Jake

winger4647

Premium Member
Have you checked your meter battery? a weak meter battery will make it not ohm correctly.:)

At room temperature it should measure 5,000-6,000 ohms. At 32*F somewhere around 15,000-16,000 ohms.

Put it in a glass of ice water and wait 5 minutes before ohm testing it, then tell us what it reads.

Here's the thermistor for your model:
Thermistor 297110400

Jake
Battery ok in all 3 meters including an analog.

76F=10,400 and 10,200
36F= 28,200 and 30,000 (not respectively)

These are the readings off the 2 new 297110400's sent by Appliance Pro Parts. The reading in my cooler was close to these readings.

I temporarily wired 2 together in parallel to get 4800 ohms at 70F and the cooler sent an E8 code after about an hour which I understand is a bad thermistor. Evidently didn't like the low ohmage???? Connected each up individually at the high resistance and it ran.

Dennis

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Dennis, I really have no clue what's going on here, its best to have a tech. come out so they can contact the Electrolux Tech Hotline to talk to the factory and find out the fix.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL, your right bigbuck it does.:)

Thanks for posting that service manual.:)

Jake